Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Modern Hunting is killing off the hunters >

Modern Hunting is killing off the hunters

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Modern Hunting is killing off the hunters

Old 12-11-2016, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Modern Hunting is killing off the hunters

The die-hard hunters are slowly dieing off. The hunt hard. Hunt more than a day. Turn down deer after deer that they see. Know the top ten has already been harvested and they never hunted there; see few bucks on their trailcams, and don't see in person, any exceptional deer where they hunt.

Gloom sets in, and they finally accept that the only buck they'll find is the 3,947th ranked buck this year. How they going to hide that taxidermied one, hanging in the house.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:20 AM
Banned

what is modern hunting??
is it hunting for bone or sport instead of sustenance?

that is my take on it. don't know that I would say it is ruining hunting though.
I figure ,so long as a hunter does what is legal in any given unit they are hunting, they are free to do what they wish. wether it be kill a biggun or just a wittle doe.

no longer really needing to hunt for sustenance and less and less hunting opportunities(private land) may eventually lead to huntings demise.

settling has always been the philosophy of SOME hunters .always has been (even in ancient times) and always will be ,so.

I would agree that the savy hunters of old are a dying breed though. most today need electronic gadgets to avoid getting lost in the woods.many of todays hunters could not even tell you such simple things , such as , the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Seriously. Maybe its just sites like this that are dying out. I just read a post on another site about a young man that went 7 miles deep into Idaho elk country and hunted for several days and got a nice first elk !!I travel alot and have hunted with many young men of this ilk that would give the oldtimers a run for their money!! At least they are out there hunting and not sitting around on the computer whinning !!
Old 12-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it just me or has deer hunting also dramatically shifted toward being a tree stand/box blind sport? My impression of "ye olde days" is that there was far more still hunting going on.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Seriously. Maybe its just sites like this that are dying out. I just read a post on another site about a young man that went 7 miles deep into Idaho elk country and hunted for several days and got a nice first elk !!I travel alot and have hunted with many young men of this ilk that would give the oldtimers a run for their money!! At least they are out there hunting and not sitting around on the computer whinning !!
I would take the OP post with a grain of salt since many of his posts seem to be completely different than the majority of members on many different things.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by younggun308
Is it just me or has deer hunting also dramatically shifted toward being a tree stand/box blind sport? My impression of "ye olde days" is that there was far more still hunting going on.
just being facetious but is not sitting in a stand or box "still" hunting???

hunting is the attempt to kill a game animal. if legal does it really matter how one does it.

my impression from talking to many "oltimers" over the years is that there was also an awful lot of poaching going on back then.

more then today? I cannot say.but 50 years ago it was fairly common practice for "the good-ol-boys", to overlook an infraction with a wink an nod.
yep, many of the same folks who preach ethics now, were not terribly ethical then.

Last edited by kidoggy; 12-11-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it just me or has deer hunting also dramatically shifted toward being a tree stand/box blind sport

I think that's definitely so. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think two reasons are time and space. It's harder to find properties big enough to walk the entire day and time demands are more now.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doggy, still hunting is walking very very slowly, stop start and look. Being in a tree stand, box stand or blind or just being in one spot all day, is stand hunting. Strange as it may seem, you are not standing still or sitting still when still hunting.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought the term "stalk hunting" was a bit more intuitive, but it seems to be less used as it must connote "spot-and-stalk" in a lot of people's minds.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I would take the OP post with a grain of salt since many of his posts seem to be completely different than the majority of members on many different things.
Just a test to see if anything has changed here nope !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.