Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.444 rifle

Old 12-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
Its still dirtier than a rifle and less fps and energy than a rifle
You planning on shooting past 200 yards? If not, then your less FPS and energy argument is moot. My daughter just dropped a 245# field dressed buck at 211 yards with a 90gr BH and 220gr Lehigh CF (controlled fracturing) bullet load out of a little TC Impact. That optima, with the proper load, has more than enough energy to drop anything walking on this continent, or any other continent, at proper ranges respective to the animal hunted. My personal load for my TC Pro Hunter .50cal barrel gives me plenty of energy out to 300 for whitetail and out to 250 for Elk. 120gr BH under a 220gr Bloodline would put the hammer of thor on ANYTHING walking this planet. Today's inlines such as your's are 100000000 miles away from the old sidelocks and such. Cleanup of that Optima isn't much more difficult (with BH anyway) than a bolt action and actually EASIER than a lever gun!
Old 12-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
You planning on shooting past 200 yards? If not, then your less FPS and energy argument is moot. My daughter just dropped a 245# field dressed buck at 211 yards with a 90gr BH and 220gr Lehigh CF (controlled fracturing) bullet load out of a little TC Impact. That optima, with the proper load, has more than enough energy to drop anything walking on this continent, or any other continent, at proper ranges respective to the animal hunted. My personal load for my TC Pro Hunter .50cal barrel gives me plenty of energy out to 300 for whitetail and out to 250 for Elk. 120gr BH under a 220gr Bloodline would put the hammer of thor on ANYTHING walking this planet. Today's inlines such as your's are 100000000 miles away from the old sidelocks and such. Cleanup of that Optima isn't much more difficult (with BH anyway) than a bolt action and actually EASIER than a lever gun!
I hear ya. I was shooting 100 grains of triple seven with 245 grain power belts and last year i double lunged a buck and had zero blood for 100 yards. Only reason i found him was the lord. Then this year i shot a buck with the same setup and never found it. Zero blood. Thats mainly why i was lookin into other ideas. I am switching to Hornady XTP mags for my optima. Heard they leave great trails compared to PB
Old 12-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL...I'm one of them guys that will tell you straight up that powerbelt bullets are about the best fishing weights made They are accurate out of most rifles but their terminal performance on game is horrendous for everyone except the people advertising for them!! I'm not a CVA fan at all so I don't know if I'm correct in this but I THINK you will have to get a different breech plug to make the switch to BH209. Now if you are currently using loose powder and aren't having any problems with ignition then you probably already have the right BP. The factory QRBP functions adequately but not exceptionally well with BH209. CVA and Western got together and designed a BP specifically for loose powders that the flash hole doesn't get clogged up every shot and gets a more reliable ignition with BH209.

Your bullet choice to switch too is a functional bullet and has taken a lot of game. I would recommend you take a look at the Bloodline bullets from Knight (made by Lehigh Defense) or the Lehigh lines of CF's (Controlled Fracturing) Both have amazing terminal performance on Whitetail and Elk and with the right sabot, powder load, and weight, have very good accuracy. They aren't high BC tipped bullets for long range paper punching but they are very capable of holding 1 MOA accuracy @100 yards. I hold just over an inch at 150 yard 5 shot groups with the 220gr Bloodlines with my .50cal barrel. So they are plenty accurate for hunting. At least from my rig and my daughters little TC shoots the 220's around the same.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
I hear ya. I was shooting 100 grains of triple seven with 245 grain power belts and last year i double lunged a buck and had zero blood for 100 yards. Only reason i found him was the lord. Then this year i shot a buck with the same setup and never found it. Zero blood. Thats mainly why i was lookin into other ideas. I am switching to Hornady XTP mags for my optima. Heard they leave great trails compared to PB
Pretty much my experiences w/ the PBs also. Also made the switch to XTPs & you'll love 'em. Reminds me of the "old" Knight Swift sabots I used to shoot before the quit making 'em
Old 12-12-2016, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LOL...I'm one of them guys that will tell you straight up that powerbelt bullets are about the best fishing weights made They are accurate out of most rifles but their terminal performance on game is horrendous for everyone except the people advertising for them!! I'm not a CVA fan at all so I don't know if I'm correct in this but I THINK you will have to get a different breech plug to make the switch to BH209. Now if you are currently using loose powder and aren't having any problems with ignition then you probably already have the right BP. The factory QRBP functions adequately but not exceptionally well with BH209. CVA and Western got together and designed a BP specifically for loose powders that the flash hole doesn't get clogged up every shot and gets a more reliable ignition with BH209.

Your bullet choice to switch too is a functional bullet and has taken a lot of game. I would recommend you take a look at the Bloodline bullets from Knight (made by Lehigh Defense) or the Lehigh lines of CF's (Controlled Fracturing) Both have amazing terminal performance on Whitetail and Elk and with the right sabot, powder load, and weight, have very good accuracy. They aren't high BC tipped bullets for long range paper punching but they are very capable of holding 1 MOA accuracy @100 yards. I hold just over an inch at 150 yard 5 shot groups with the 220gr Bloodlines with my .50cal barrel. So they are plenty accurate for hunting. At least from my rig and my daughters little TC shoots the 220's around the same.
Thanks for the advice. I will look into switching bp and using the diff powder. Anything knight makes i love. If xtps dont work ill look into gettin the ammo made by knight.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
Pretty much my experiences w/ the PBs also. Also made the switch to XTPs & you'll love 'em. Reminds me of the "old" Knight Swift sabots I used to shoot before the quit making 'em
Yea its insane how many ppl have issues with PB. So this year when i shot that buck with PB, i called this very experienced dog blood trailer named Kenny. He told me that on opening weekend he trailed 8 bucks with his dog, all 8 were shot with PB AND all 8 were shot in the lungs. NONE had a blood trail. Kennys dog found 6 of the 8 just trailing the scent of the deer released after its shot.