Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How many states/provinces have you taken deer in? >

How many states/provinces have you taken deer in?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many states/provinces have you taken deer in?

Old 12-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

One: my home state of Kansas.

In my seminary days, when I had little experience, I wounded a buck in Pennsylvania, but did not recover it.

I'll probably never deer hunt outside of Kansas. As some of you know, I'm a monk and priest and that limits time and especially money for out of state tags. I teach in a college as part of the ministry and deer seasons tend to hit at crunch time. It's hard to get extended time away for hunting trips or deer camp during finals week. (I'm giving final exam in freshmen history as I type this.)
The bright side is this: Finals week is also such that I can get away for numerous mornings and evenings, enough to slip into a stand and wait or do a quickie stillhunt (I did a little stillhunt this morning and might do one before Mass on Sunday Morning..) Also, I live in one of the top deer states in America, have access to our own property, and can use the priestly connections to get on hunting ground easily.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love your handle "Father Forkhorn"! You are correct that KS is one of the premier deer hunting states. Might as well make the most of it.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Father Forkhorn out of state hunts are pricey, And i personally have to forget Canada, even though i really want to go back, I just can't afford outfitters. Hunting is becoming a rich mans sport in some ways That being said a lot of guys I know are hunting Nebraska White-Tails they seem to do pretty good out there.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swap Hunts are also a good way to experience other places without breaking the bank. You must thoroughly vet the person you are swapping with, but if done properly you will also make great friends out of the deal!
Old 12-10-2016, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

FF, did you attend Seminary at Lancaster Bible College or the School of Theology in Myerstown by chance? I have only taken or hunted deer in PA, we have enough that I don't have to look else where. However, I have hunted ducks in Maryland, New Jersey and Arkansas as well as PA , hunted quail in GA on a plantation hunt and hogs in GA and SC Bison in MO.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-10-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
FF, did you attend Seminary at Lancaster Bible College or the School of Theology in Myerstown by chance? I have only taken or hunted deer in PA, we have enough that I don't have to look else where. However, I have hunted ducks in Maryland, New Jersey and Arkansas as well as PA , hunted quail in GA on a plantation hunt and hogs in GA and SC.
St. Vincent Seminary, Latrobe PA.

I really enjoyed Pennsylvania. At the time I got there in 2002, they had just put in antler restrictions, so everyone was wrangling about the wisdom of it.

What I liked most was that I had access to a cabin and deer camp up in the mountains. That's something I don't have here.

While I'm at it, my hunting report is that I'm still deerless after a quick hunt this morning.

Still the remainder of the weekend to go...
Old 12-10-2016, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
(I did a little stillhunt this morning and might do one before Mass on Sunday Morning..)
LOL, Father, be sure you clean the hands well after field-dressing a pre-Mass deer; we want to keep the Eucharistic sacrifice bloodless, now!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK, thanks for the reply. Both the two I mentioned are close to where I live. Yep, the antler restrictions caused a lit of strife for the PGC along with herd reduction. It was awful for a while with the gloom and doom crowd insisting the deer herd was going to be eliminated and whining to their legislators who have a different kind of pressure to bring to bear. However, all you have to do is look around and see it worked as advertised. Go out and get one, good luck.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Spike

First out-of-state hunt was in 1959. I have missed going out of state 2 times in 57 years. Once due to work, and then 5 years ago due to a bad hunting accident in my Rhino side x side that laid me up for about 6 months. Many years I have gone on 2 out of state hunts. I know because my wife keeps on reminding me.

Black Tail Deer California, Oregon
White Tail Deer Idaho, Montana, Alberta
Mule Deer Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, British Columbia, Alberta

10 states and 2 provinces. Still going strong(but not as fast)and looking forward to hunting Oregon and Idaho next year. Can't wait.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Only Delaware.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.