HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What does the Whitetail mean to you? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/410515-what-does-whitetail-mean-you.html)

HPNomad 12-05-2016 06:07 PM

What does the Whitetail mean to you?

I've been reading a lot lately, and this passage by Charles J. Alsheimer summed up what I think the whitetail is.

"Last summer I was patrolling and scouting our farm. The late summer day had been rather cool and clear. The sun was dropping below the tree line as I rounded the corner of a spruce plantation on the north end of the farm. Fifty yards ahead my eyes caught movement in the golden rods. I came to a stop and turned off the Gator just as a doe and two fans stepped into the roadway. For the next couple of minutes the surveyed me before bounding off.

Rather than firing up the engine and continuing on I chose to sit back and listen to the sounds of nature. To me the chorus made by insects at nightfall is one of the greatest songs on earth.

In the Eastern sky the moon slowly crested the horizon. As daylight vanished I sat in awe. Time flew by and before I knew it the rising moon had turned into my street light. As I reached for the key to start the engine I couldn't help but think of how blessed I was. I also realized that the blessing I'd just experienced was a direct result of my encounter with the three whitetails. As I pulled away from the goldenrod field and headed home my mind was full of the thoughts of life.

During the hundreds of hours I've huddled behind the camera and sat in a deer stand I've come to realize that the whitetail is far more than an animal. To me the experiences and relationships it has brought my way have been far more rewarding than things crafted by man's hands."

blessed n born to hunt 12-05-2016 06:25 PM

I couldn't agree more , the woods are truly magnificent and beyond explanation , the deer appear out of thin air , sometimes without a sound , and the feeling I get , thank God for my everything , I'm blessed to be an outdoorsman ,and am great full I get to share it with the younger generation that's just opening that wonderful gift , thank you Lord

gjersy 12-06-2016 03:55 AM

I agree guys, Deer hunting brings buddies,nature and Fam together, and also delicious healthy meat. Deer season is my favorite time of year.

flags 12-07-2016 07:54 AM

What does the Whitetail mean to you?
Same thing the mulie means, dinner.

IndianaBigBucks 12-07-2016 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4284391)
Same thing the mulie means, dinner.

When I see the White Tail that usually means I'm busted.

C. Davis 12-07-2016 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by IndianaBigBucks (Post 4284394)
When I see the White Tail that usually means I'm busted.

Lol! Yep.
The only thing worse than that is when the deer sees your white tail. Last year I heard a deer blow while I was using the TP for it's intended purpose.

C. Davis

WrackMaster 12-07-2016 02:03 PM

Venison! :)
No wall hangers yet this year, but 8 in the freezer.