Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
best place to hunt in this picture! help? >

best place to hunt in this picture! help?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best place to hunt in this picture! help?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Spike

Default best place to hunt in this picture! help?

these three plots have a total of 290 acres. i have never scouted and dont plan to until next year. so im looking to get you guys opinion on what would be the best place to hunt. there is a set of double wide powerline running the entire length of the property. with a big pond on the bottom left half marked with the blue checkmarker.

view picture here http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...psygg71vg3.png
Old 11-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Weldlife143 View Post
these three plots have a total of 290 acres. i have never scouted and dont plan to until next year. so im looking to get you guys opinion on what would be the best place to hunt. there is a set of double wide powerline running the entire length of the property. with a big pond on the bottom left half marked with the blue checkmarker.

view picture here http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...psygg71vg3.png
It is real hard to say by looking at the map. When you start walking that power line, you can find crossings and it can help give you hints what is happening on the property.

Here is one thing you can do right now. Look at your weather every day, and see which direction the wind usually comes from. It won't be the same every day, but you should start to see a pattern. Keep this in mind when you start positioning your stands.

There are a few good hunting apps that show wind direction. My hunting would be much easier if I had placed my permanent stands on the south of my deer trails because this time of year the wind is usually coming from the north or north east.

C. Davis
Old 11-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by C. Davis View Post
It is real hard to say by looking at the map. When you start walking that power line, you can find crossings and it can help give you hints what is happening on the property.

Here is one thing you can do right now. Look at your weather every day, and see which direction the wind usually comes from. It won't be the same every day, but you should start to see a pattern. Keep this in mind when you start positioning your stands.

There are a few good hunting apps that show wind direction. My hunting would be much easier if I had placed my permanent stands on the south of my deer trails because this time of year the wind is usually coming from the north or north east.

C. Davis
okay, now i have been on the property and seen alittle lit of it and what i can say, there is a little patch of oak in the middle near a creek bed. do you think that would be an ideal spot to put a mineral site and feeder up? all the other timber is planted and rolled farm pine.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just looked at your picture again and noticed you are using the same app I use. There is a feature on the HuntStand app called HuntZone. If gives a scent circle and cone by the hour. That is a good tool to show where you want to position yourself. I use it often. Again, you should notice a pattern what the wind usually does this time of year.

C. Davis
Old 11-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Weldlife143 View Post
okay, now i have been on the property and seen alittle lit of it and what i can say, there is a little patch of oak in the middle near a creek bed. do you think that would be an ideal spot to put a mineral site and feeder up? all the other timber is planted and rolled farm pine.
That should be a good area. Oak trees are my favorite place to be. Find where they might be bedding and you will have a good idea of travel routes. Help reinforce the travel routes by putting out salt/mineral blocks in the spring along those trails. The bucks will lick them while they are growing antlers. They won't touch them much once summer has passed.

A feeder is good to attract does, which attract bucks during rut. If you have a feeder, you can hunt that feeder or you can be on the trails heading to the feeder. I do both. The feeder and a camera will give you a good idea what deer are in the area.

C. Davis

Last edited by C. Davis; 11-30-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:49 PM
Spike

check the fields for feed and watch your wind it predominately blows from the west the power line would be sweet for access if you had it from both east and west figuring the map is oriented north and south. Look for the pines where they meet the scrub brush .near field edges. .
Old 11-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Spike

Power line good place to start, especially in early season then during the rut put up your doe decoy on a frosty morning on the power line. Good places to start. We used to hunt a gas line in PA and deer will use the elevations to sneak across power line
Old 11-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bhtc53 View Post
Power line good place to start, especially in early season then during the rut put up your doe decoy on a frosty morning on the power line. Good places to start. We used to hunt a gas line in PA and deer will use the elevations to sneak across power line
do decoys actually work?
never used them
Old 12-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest looking over a topographic map too.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Spike

Default Do decoys work?

U bet they do, we usually start putting it out first cold spell in late October or November, but u can educate them to it and they will become wary. My dad and I have used with very good success just old cheap delta 3D targets lol, his has a piece of banding hanger holding head on. Does will come to a doe decoy also they can be territorial especially around food source. Just our observations. Never any luck with buck decoy or even buck scent for that matter for us. Usually just doe decoy doe in heat has really worked for us in ne Ohio

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.