Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Waste of time hunting in the rain? >

Waste of time hunting in the rain?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Waste of time hunting in the rain?

Old 11-29-2016, 04:43 AM
Spike

Default Waste of time hunting in the rain?

Got rain on forcast next 3 days and also about 30 degrees above normal temperature. Is it a waste of time to go out?
Old 11-29-2016, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

no not at all.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:58 AM
Banned

ain't never yet seen a deer hole up in front of the tv to weather a storm.
they stay in the woods ,so should you.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

any day of hunting is a good day its better than sitting home watching Ellen
Old 11-29-2016, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

You can't shoot them if you aren't hunting. I like to still hunt in the rain.... especially in a drizzle. Normally no wind and the constant noise makes walking quiet and the rain lowers and limits scent. When it is raining I often get in real close and occasionally catch them bedded.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my area they like cedar trees in the rain
Old 11-29-2016, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Same here in Northern VT. The cedar offers cover and a winter food source. Cut a large branch down and check out the tracks all around it in the snow. They flock to it when the temps go way down.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:05 AM
Spike

Awesome no need to tell me twice i was literally walking into the woods as i posted this.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

The deer still have to be outside in the rain, so no, not a waste of time if you put the effort in to hunt them, remember that they might not follow typical travel and feeding patterns, so you need to adjust. Other things to consider...

1. Your boots/clothing - if you are just going to be soaked and miserable, then yes maybe stay inside and dry
2. Your weapon - depending on what you are using, it's performance may be changed with wet weather, including optics. and dryinga and cleaning etc afterwards can be vital, make sure you have time to deal with it.
3. Your shot - blood trails in the rain can disappear quickly, be sure of your shot, and make a good one. With a gun, take out the shoulders so the deer can't go far while it bleeds/dies.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Rpcross45
Awesome no need to tell me twice i was literally walking into the woods as i posted this.
A bit of advice from an old fashioned hunter....Turn the internet off on the phone and hunt. My bet is you will have much better luck if your whole attention is focused on the deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.