HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Rifle for my daughter (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/410216-rifle-my-daughter.html)

oaktree30 11-22-2016 03:31 AM

Rifle for my daughter

Hey all, been awhile. My 9 year old dayghter is showing intrest in hunting and shooting. I'm thinking lever action 30x30...thoughts?

Oldtimr 11-22-2016 03:37 AM

That is a light rifle with some bump on the back end, I would consider a .243 before I went with a 30-30.

Champlain Islander 11-22-2016 03:44 AM

Another good option is the 7MM-08 but it does have a bit more push. A buddy got one for his teenage daughter in a youth model frame. Real nice gun.

Joot 11-22-2016 04:45 AM

Nine year old ? I don't understand how some of you folks could be a responsible parent and take a nine or ten year old hunting. I'm all for teaching kids hunting and all but 9 and 10 year olds are just too young in my book. If you going to start them out that early, why not consider a .22LR for squirrels first....

flags 11-22-2016 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4282333)
Another good option is the 7MM-08 but it does have a bit more push. A buddy got one for his teenage daughter in a youth model frame. Real nice gun.

DING, DING, DING we have a winner. 7-08 is a great rig for kids and ladies.

Champlain Islander 11-22-2016 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4282344)
DING, DING, DING we have a winner. 7-08 is a great rig for kids and ladies.

And adults. A truly great deer caliber.

sachiko 11-22-2016 04:57 AM

I'm four foot seven and 72-73 pounds, probably near the size of your daughter. I've never used a .243 or a 7mm-08. But I have no problem with the .30-30. I have a recoil pad on mine, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of kick.

We have two daughters, nine and six. They go out hunting with us and know more about hunting and shooting than a lot of grown men I meet. The only reason they don't hunt is because they take after me and are way too little to effectively handle a gun or bow suitable for hunting. They are great fishermen though.

Hatfield Hunter 11-22-2016 05:34 AM

Fisherpersons to be correct

handles II 11-22-2016 05:58 AM

Quite a few options out there that in general would be a better choice than a lever action 30-30. If you want your daughter to really like hunting and shooting, start with a better option, she can always get one later if she like that style.

7mm-08 has been listed by several informed posters, I'd listen to them. Pick up a Savage Axis II with the Accutrigger and get some Hornaday Custom Lite cartridges for it. She will be all set for a lifetime of hunting as she can always move up to full power loads for bigger game if she wants, or use these even for 'yotes. It's what I started my 10 year old son with. He's now 13 and truly in love with that rifle. That's what you want for your daughter.

If you want another fantastic deer-sized game caliber, look at a 25.06. More power than a .243 with the same light kick, but with these two calibers, you can't go up in power like with the 7mm-08. With the reduced recoil loads, the 7mm-08 is almost identical in recoil as the previous calibers.

BRUSE 11-22-2016 06:54 AM

I'm a fan of the 7-08 for youths as it can be had in a youth rifle. One company had a combo that came with two stocks one adult one youth but it's been a while since I've seen this out there. I also like the idea of a 22 to get them started that's how I started and learned so much more than sitting in a deer stand. Going to the range is a blast too