Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle for my daughter

Old 11-23-2016, 05:04 AM
Spike

One more thing yall, when she is hunting she will be in a ground blind with me on my left side so I can help her easily as she is a right handed shooter. Until she proves she is extremely confident and proficient I will be handing her a loaded rifle on safe.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Great plan and best of luck.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Our daughters load and shoot their own guns when we go to the range. They use a single shot .22 rifle and a Beretta Bobcat, which shoots .22LR. They have been very well trained and they observe all the safety rules religiously. Of course, they are under our supervision.

As I mentioned though, they are small, like me, so it will be many years before they will be able to handle a gun or bow suitable for hunting. They do hunt with us though and enjoy it immensely.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
223 ain't a legal deer round in a lot of states. And no matter what anyone says the bullet is too light to be dependable on anything besides a broadside shot. More bullet weight is better for an inexperienced shooter.

I'd add 1 more cartridge to the list. the 6.5x55 Swede is another great deer round that is easy to shoot and works very well.
Not sure about the legal part that's for them to figure out ?
Old 11-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Spike

Talking

Being in a ground blind with them is the way to go. You have their full attention and you control their every action with the rifle and can insure whether it is a shoot or no shoot position of the deer. Expect kids to make noise, move & become impatient but they will be learning at the same time.

Good hunting!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

A lever has a "lot of moving parts" and I also agree that a bolt is probably the best option for starting out a kid... That being said I started with a lever action marlin in .44mag and did just fine. Each kid is different and learns differently at different speeds.
-Jake
Old 11-24-2016, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Make one of these to help with the hold.
cheap and simple to make and can be left in the blind.

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

Al
Old 11-24-2016, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

.243 is a great round for deer.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flags
223 ain't a legal deer round in a lot of states. And no matter what anyone says the bullet is too light to be dependable on anything besides a broadside shot.
.223 is actually legal for deer in 38 states. Not saying that it's a good option, but with appropriate bullet choice, and waiting for the right shot, it's plenty to take down Texas Hill Country does that typically weigh under 110 lbs. I've been hunting the Hill Country for the last 13 years and have never had to take anything but a broadside shot.

More bullet weight is better for an inexperienced shooter.

I'd add 1 more cartridge to the list. the 6.5x55 Swede is another great deer round that is easy to shoot and works very well.

More bullet weight is better, up to a point. For an inexperienced shooter, recoil is an important consideration. 6.5 Swede is nice. However, the OP has already said he chose the cartridge designed by the good Lord Almighty... 7mm-08 Rem.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

About a year ago I started a search for a rifle for my wife, I used this forum as part of the search and was pointed to 7mm-08. Does it work? Hmmm, pictures work better than words (176 yards, 140 gr partition off the shelf from Federal):