Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle for my daughter

Old 11-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flags
DING, DING, DING we have a winner. 7-08 is a great rig for kids and ladies.
Why limit that to kids and ladies? Probably the best deer cartridge ever made. Wouldn't surprise me at all if God himself carried a 7mm-08 when deer hunting...

In response to the OP, not sure where you are located, what your daughter wants to hunt (I'm assuming deer), or the size of those animals where you are, but where I hunt in the Texas Hill Country (a BIG buck weighs about 150), a .243 would be ideal for your daughter. That's what my son got as his first deer rifle. His was a Remmy Model 7 Youth. Later upgraded with a full size stock. If you're in Iowa or someplace else where the deer are much larger, then the 7mm-08 is a great choice.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Why limit that to kids and ladies? Probably the best deer cartridge ever made. Wouldn't surprise me at all if God himself carried a 7mm-08 when deer hunting...

In response to the OP, not sure where you are located, what your daughter wants to hunt (I'm assuming deer), or the size of those animals where you are, but where I hunt in the Texas Hill Country (a BIG buck weighs about 150), a .243 would be ideal for your daughter. That's what my son got as his first deer rifle. His was a Remmy Model 7 Youth. Later upgraded with a full size stock. If you're in Iowa or someplace else where the deer are much larger, then the 7mm-08 is a great choice.

I wounded up getting her a single shot 7-08 with Simmons 3x9 scope to shoot deer here in Ga.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Joot
Nine year old ? I don't understand how some of you folks could be a responsible parent and take a nine or ten year old hunting. I'm all for teaching kids hunting and all but 9 and 10 year olds are just too young in my book. If you going to start them out that early, why not consider a .22LR for squirrels first....
Seriously? Back in the dark ages when I was 9 I was hunting by myself! Had already taken several deer and hundreds of squirrels and rabbits by that old age of 9! All 5 of my kids had their own rifles by 10 and probably had more range and field time than a lot of 20 year olds! I guess you are one of those libs that think a kid shouldn't be allowed to handle a firearm or go out in the woods till they are 16? My Great Grandfather and Father had me out in the woods when I had the walking thing down pat! I did the same thing with my kids. Teaching little ones about nature and hunting and shooting, basically all outdoor sports, gives them the absolute BEST chance of capturing an interest and off the damn video games and idiot box (TV). My question to you sir would be, how could a responsible parent NOT start them out young?
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oaktree30
Hey all, been awhile. My 9 year old dayghter is showing intrest in hunting and shooting. I'm thinking lever action 30x30...thoughts?
Imo I would start her on a 223 Bolt gun I'm assuming your talking deer hunting there are great 223 deer rounds.I don't want to start a pis...g match about the .223 again but for a youngster that age would be perfect out to 100 even though it can do more.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why, what would the .223 do that the .243, .270,.25-06 or the 7mm-08 would not do better. The .223 is a marginal round for deer at best especially for a child where you need to consider a margin of error because of inexperience. I don't want a contest either bit I consider the .223 a poor choice for deer in the hands of an inexperienced hunter when there are so many better choices.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-22-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

My only comment would be IMO a bolt would be a better fit safety wise than a lever gun for a younger hunter.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
My only comment would be IMO a bolt would be a better fit safety wise than a lever gun for a younger hunter.
???? Care to explain why you think that CI? With a Bolt gun all you have is the safety. With a lever gun, well MOST lever guns, you can rack in a round then safely drop the hammer until you are ready to fire. And most of them also have a cross bolt safety as well nowadays. So which would you deem safer, a rifle with the hammer cocked and only a safety or a rifle with the hammer decocked as well as a safety? In my unworthy opinion, the lever gun is about the safest rifle configuration out there as far as carrying a loaded and chambered weapon with the only one beating it out is a break open action carried open or closed with the hammer dropped.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess it is just my old fashion way of looking at it. Some bolts can be cocked while on safe and at least to me are simple without much for moving parts especially with a newer shooter. The lever after cocking with hammer that has to be dropped to the safe position is at least to me harder. I have both types of guns and one I use for my younger grandkids is actually a Henry with lever and hammer. They can deal with it but from my way of looking at it isn't as easy as one of my bolts.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:46 PM
Spike

Accuracy is more important than the caliber size. My 8 year old grandson took his 1st deer the other day with a perfect lung shot & the deer went 19 yards with a good blood trail and lots of internal bleeding. The rifle was a Thomson Contender .223 caliber shooting a 61 grain soft point. We have practiced and practiced with not only paper targets, water bottles to show the explosive force of a bullet as well as deer targets. He had to prove he could make the shot every time he shot at a target. After he shot the deer I asked him where he shot it and he told me and when we examined the buck he hit exactly where he should have and where he told me he had aimed.

Last edited by Screamerdreamer; 11-22-2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added rifle used for the hunt.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Perfect shot and a beautiful picture. Congratulations to both of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.