HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I've lost zeal (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/410172-ive-lost-zeal.html)

jerry d 11-20-2016 03:53 PM

I've lost zeal

Has this ever happened to any of you. It started last year, sleeping in when I should have been in the stand, getting out of the stand when it was still light. Even passed on a respectable shooter.

Yesterday was the rifle opener(11-19) rain, wind so I didn't go. This morning perfect morning, didn't go. I get a phone call @ 8AM,my hunting pard thought I was in the stand, he shot a nice 8pt. needed a hand getting it out told him i'd be there in 1/2 hour(our stand are a 10min. walk apart) he ask why..."because i'm still home".

Went out this afternoon about 1:30 back in the truck @ 3:00 headed home. I guess i'm loosing the passion.

How the heck do I get it back?!?

mrbb 11-20-2016 04:06 PM

I think many guys fall into ruts and loose some of the drive they once had, or I know I sure did,
for 30 yrs or so I was nuts about hunting, couldn;t hunt enough, and had 3+ months a yr off from Sept till mid Jan to hunt every day and I did pretty much, added as many states as I could to keep hunting as I filled deer tags from one state to another.

but then about 3 yrs ago now, I pretty much over night lost interest in logging in as many hrs as I used to, I now only hunt IF I really feel like it.
I did loose a bunch of my fav spots, when Friends passed away, and I do think a part of me, just misses the friendships we had and looked forward to seeing each other, come hunting season, as we all lived so far apart, all the more so my out of state friends, and even though I have access to lots of great places, not having them to visit, sucked the fun out of it it once had
was big into upland game hunting too, and when my dog passed away, that truely sucked the desire out of bird hunting, honestly haven't done any since his passing, was such a super dog, I cannot see filling his hoe's again, and no desire to want to even try to
SO many times its life itself that can cause loss of desire I guess, or is that death?

But I feel for you, as I am more like this now than ever . I do however find I enjoy hearing more about how others have been doing and seeing there success and failures, as they remind me of my own at times and I can relive them any time I want , memories are forever
hunting is, something , I say you do it as long as you enjoy it, then when you don't, don't force it, just enjoy what you did, and maybe some day you will come back at it again with the Passion you once had!

kidoggy 11-20-2016 04:18 PM

I've discovered the same thing myself.seems from the time I wake all I want is to go back to bed. no longer get excited about much of anything but just go through the motions.used to look forward to hunting , now it seems more like an unwanted chore.only reason I even still hunt is to stubborn to stop, knowing I will probably die if I do.
if you figure it out ,be sure to let us know the answer.

nchawkeye 11-20-2016 04:18 PM

Grandkids... :)

I don't hunt as hard as I used to, could care less about killing bucks so I go with a few close hunting buddies that I have hunted with for over 25 years, kill enough for the freezer and call it a season...I do go to some pheasant tower shoots and do still hunt squirrels, especially with my .40 caliber flintlock, to me it's about spending time in the woods and enjoying nature...

MudderChuck 11-20-2016 04:21 PM

I pass on a lot of shots. I kind of figure I've had my share and let them go for the next guy or gal.

My favorite time of the hunt is the end anymore, I go for a walk, make a wide circle, check the tracks of what has been around and figure in my mind where they are likely to be the next time out. In other words, I get more satisfaction out of playing the game than making the shot anymore.

Then every once in awhile something happens that stays with you the rest of your life. I set up on a hill, a saddle, where the Hogs cross over from one food source to another. Put out a couple of handfuls of Corn so they'd stop and I'd get a better shot. A Badger showed up with her two almost grown pups, they started eating the Corn. Sounder of Hogs shows up, maybe seven. I watched them face off for the longest time, half an hour, seemed longer. Mama Badger and the Pups backed down seven Hogs. My guess is those Hogs had a run in with those badgers before and where keeping their distance. Still makes me smile thinking about it.

Don't know why exactly, but I found that really neat. I didn't shoot anything.

flags 11-20-2016 05:37 PM

I lost a lot of my passion for hunting when my father passed away in 2013. He was always my hunting buddy and I haven't found anyone to take his place. I still hunt every year but I hunt alone and I treat it more like grocery shopping. 2 deer down for meat and I'm done for the season and I shoot the first legal deer I see.

blessed n born to hunt 11-20-2016 06:47 PM

Oh Lord I hope n pray that we all never truly lose it, don't know yall age but I'm 48.life changes who we are ,when I first hunted it was public land and day leases and shot the first legal chance, then a lil older and a lease and hunted more hours than most ,self employed and searching for my trophy . I try not to take does from my spots even after I get him.older now I have a state record buck and 4 others and one that's even bigger .I really try to wait until I see my buck and even then have passed on excellent bucks just cause it's almost dark or too warm (I bow hunt almost always even in rifle season .I'm like a bird watcher only with deer , love to shot pigs and a doe excites me just like buck fever .I used to get in a stand on Friday till Sunday , now 6 hours is enough . Cameras killed some of my joy, I thought the party started at dark ,not as busy as I thought.i know I'm getting older but God Lord I pray I never get that old

blessed n born to hunt 11-20-2016 07:06 PM

Am I the only one disappointed he got cameras , I like them but for example I have a tree stand it has a rub in a dry creek and i have taken a hog there but I thought it was magical and that my deer would come anytime and I know that's true but thanks to my camera I know they come about 2 hours after dark , only one doe has come at 10 am - have a blessed season yall

Bocajnala 11-20-2016 07:20 PM

This happened to me to a lesser extent two years ago. I'd become so focused on chasing deer I forgot what I loved about it. SO I put all the deer stuff down and went back to small game and found the passion again. This year I'm back to being deer crazy.. I have only gone for small game three times when I took my four year old step son... Find what makes you happy and do that. If it's no fun getting up early and being in a stand then don't get up early... Try to find ways to make it fun again. Maybe try some traditional equipment, or stuff you haven't used before. maybe try getting into long range shooting and eventually hunting. Mix it up.
-Jake

alleyyooper 11-21-2016 02:15 AM

I'll be turning 70 soon been hunting since I was 9 for small game and deer since 1963. I've lost count on the number of bucks I have gotten but well over 100. Was tough to continue to hunt in the late 1970's when dads friends started bringing their kids so I started hunting some place else and was mostly hunting alone. By the early 1980's I was able to go back and hunt my folks farm and woods for deer (My real passion.) I started getting some really nice bucks out of there bruisers many close to 200 pounds and none smaller than a 8 point. Word got out and dads friends returned with their kids and grand kids. Finally gave up and bought my own UPPER Michigan deer camp. 1992 first year hunting there alone with Kare back at camp since she doesn't hunt her self. 1993 had a very close friend hunting partner go with me and 1994 4 other guys. The last one died in 2005, I did 2006 alone there but wasn't the same 2007 invited 2 guys from work a pair of A holes that invited a brother in law with out asking me and were so lazy they could not get out of their own stink.
2008 found me hunting my little patch of 10 acre woods here at home alone and I have come to love it.
Have gotten some nice bucks here, sleep in a nice warm house and have some one that cooks dinner and supper for me.
She even tells me about a nice buck like yesterday the one in the front yard. I suspect I will die deer hunting or at least in the woods with a deer near by.

I was getting ready to go out and walk my dogs.

:D Al

TN Lone Wolf 11-21-2016 05:04 AM

Why not try a different hunting method? Try out a muzzleloader or bow, if you haven't already. If you have, try a different type of weapon. For example, a recurve bow instead of a compound, a flintlock instead of an inline, or a handgun instead of a rifle. I'm quite partial to handgun hunting myself.

Valentine 11-21-2016 06:38 AM

When I was young...

I lost my zeal for playing baseball. Hardly watch a game now. I lost my zeal for playing basketball. Hardly watch a game now.
Lost my zeal for watching football games. Lost my interest in gambling when I was fourteen.
Took up hunting late. Never got too interested in zeal. Just took up hunting. Still interested in hunting.

GTOHunter 11-21-2016 02:35 PM

Your a Corker Valentine...! LMAO :)

I've lost the Zeal on Deer Hunting a few times....the stress of work,getting ready and not having my Hunting Buddy.I learned to step away from it for a while,not get in a big hurry and simply enjoy the Outdoors.I have more fun and enjoyment by going out Coyote and Predator Hunting....even then there's times when We should take a break from Hunting and enjoy other things for a while.

Oldtimr 11-21-2016 03:11 PM

When you lose your zeal for deer hunting, remember that the name of the sport is hunting, not getting. If there was a guarantee that you would be successful every year, where is the challenge? Why would you want to participate in a sport where you know you will win? If there is no doubt, there is no sport.

mrbb 11-21-2016 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4282276)
When you lose your zeal for deer hunting, remember that the name of the sport is hunting, not getting. If there was a guarantee that you would be successful every year, where is the challenge? Why would you want to participate in a sport where you know you will win? If there is no doubt, there is no sport.

I agree here but also disagree, as the name of the game in any sport is to WIN, or we wouldn;t keep scores
if your good, and can pick the way you play, you can win all the time, making the game not as much fun as it once was. you then have to pick more challenging ways to play, but once you get very good at them too, it becomes harder and harder to keep upping the challanges

so, yes hunting is hunting, and there is no guarantee of success, but when you do it right and have control over many aspects of it, it can be rather a sure thing

I have properties I hunt that , say deer hunting, I have NEVER sat in a stand and not had a deer close enough I could shoot if I wanted to,(under 20 yards) , and in a typical yr I would pass on about 25+ bucks a yr in archery season in PA, and was like that for the past 20 yrs or so
the challenge became more about picking a targeted deer and then if that showed up early, letting it walk and HOPE something else got my interest, so as not to end the hunt so soon
so again, getting brunt out or loosing ZEAL< is still possible I think, average about 700-1,000 hr a yr in the deer woods for 30+ yrs and even more so you can burn out on things LOl

I for the last 15+ yrs or so, really like taking new hunters out and getting them involved, but even that grows old! and turns into work more than fun HAHA!
I also went thru the weapons game, if it was legal to hunt with I hunted with it! long range, short range, video's and all that, ?
the icing on the cake I think for many is loosing your spots to hunt you enjoyed, or loss of game in them!

blessed n born to hunt 11-21-2016 03:44 PM

I hope to die the same way, watching the sun rise on fee..ding deer or a heart attack dragging him back , as long as it's in the woods ,I lost my hunting buddy when my boys starting coming with me he leased up with another friend of ours and I kept the lease ,have let it go because I believe leases are overrated , all my big deer come of public land or on a farmers or customers overlooked honey hole ,my home has blessed me and my oldest with awesome bucks his was an eleven and mines an outstanding 8 point 3 years ago , I just came home and went out and dumped corn again, hunting at home is a big big blessing and yes she cooks a mean meal and puts up with me and me dog

Doughboy2 11-22-2016 07:29 AM

I was faced with similar feelings 2 years ago...I did not get excited to hunt, and even told my brother-in-law I was finished chasing deer. But then my son, 12 at the time, started hunting....not sitting in the stand with me...but actually hunting. It gave me that spark once more. He got his first deer last year, and I have NEVER felt that way when I got a deer. Having him so excited about deer hunting has allowed me to get my passion back. I love hunting again, and I have my now 14 year old son to thank for it.

Bob H in NH 11-22-2016 09:17 AM

It's supposed to be fun and relaxing, if it's not and you lost the "zeal", take a break, simple as that. It can come and go. Take a season off, or if you don't want to get out of bed don't! Our lives don't depend on hunting, why do it if it's not enjoyable?

Take a week or season off, check back in next year.

I know this year my wife and I had a trip to Wyoming early October, our archery season opens in Sept 15. Neither of us hunted before heading West. We were so excited to head west we weren't motivated to hunt local. Now back with a full freezer my wife has been out once and that was opener of rifle when both our sons went.

flags 11-22-2016 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf (Post 4282187)
Why not try a different hunting method?

Done that. I've hunted deer by still hunting, spot and stalk, tree stand, ground blind and even dogs. I've taken deer with scoped rifle, open sight rifle, crossbow, recurve bow, longbow, inline muzzle loader, traditional percussion muzzle loader, flintlock, shotgun with buckshot, shotgun with slugs and handguns.

For me it isn't the method, it is the loss of my primary hunting buddy to lung cancer. As much as it pains me to say it, hunting just isn't the same now and probably never will be.

jerry d 11-22-2016 04:39 PM

Gentelman,thanks for input. I'm not done with hunting by any stretch of the imagination.
You guys gave a lot of insight. I think the main thing is I used to regularly hunt with 5-6 guys. We had a couple of pieces of property in up state NY we had permission to hunt so we'd get a hotel room and spend a week.I 'm missing the company, the commoradity.

Now I've got 190 acres to myself plus my own small piece. Don't cost a dime to hunt, sleep in my own bed every night and it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

Well I believe when I get the urge i'll go got until jan. anyway.

sconnyhunter 11-22-2016 05:17 PM

Having my daughter go with me this year, helped me a lot too. Now its about getting her into it more. And finding the time to go with her.
She got her first deer opening day at 7:35 am. Nice little button buck. I'm not sure who was shaking more, me or her. But it was a moment she and I will always have.

IndianaBigBucks 11-22-2016 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 4282106)
Has this ever happened to any of you. It started last year, sleeping in when I should have been in the stand, getting out of the stand when it was still light. Even passed on a respectable shooter.

Yesterday was the rifle opener(11-19) rain, wind so I didn't go. This morning perfect morning, didn't go. I get a phone call @ 8AM,my hunting pard thought I was in the stand, he shot a nice 8pt. needed a hand getting it out told him i'd be there in 1/2 hour(our stand are a 10min. walk apart) he ask why..."because i'm still home".

Went out this afternoon about 1:30 back in the truck @ 3:00 headed home. I guess i'm loosing the passion.

How the heck do I get it back?!?

I cannot tell you the answer. I didn't have time years ago due to work, but once I got married and moved closer to the family farm, my passion for hunting grew even more once again. Plus I am in a small circle of friends that are always pumped up to shoot big deer, so they get me pumped as well...

oaktree30 11-23-2016 05:09 AM

If it's not fun anymore take a season or 2 off. See if you miss it or not. I bet you will be back in the woods within 2 seasons.

Hatfield Hunter 11-23-2016 05:17 AM

try to go back to the roots---maybe a recurve bow new challenges ???

HoosierGuy 11-24-2016 01:37 PM

Don't put pressure on yourself by loosing your focus upon the whole experience. When the conditions are best get out there, when there not take a break. If you get lazy and don't prep well you will see little or nothing and get discouraged. And even when you do everything right accept the plain reality that no one see's Deer or shooter Bucks all the time. When its slow I soak up the peace and quite and count it a good day in the woods. Passion comes and goes, when its hot get out there when it not take a break. Also hunt with a friend I find it an encouragement to have a buddy near by. What he see's may stir me up and make the fact that I'm not seeing anything no big deal. I took two years off and came back with renewed passion this year, it paid off for me, got my best Buck ever. You may just need a break for a year or so like I did. Hope this helps. :)

Daveboone 11-24-2016 04:43 PM

I have found that if I have a period when I am more sedentary, (too involved in work, not getting out and getting excersise), I tend to put off doing even things I want. The less you do, the less you want to do. Your body wants to be used, active. the busier you are, the more you want to do. Any chance you see that in yourself? if so, careful, because it easily becomes a unhealthy lifestyle change of inactivity.