Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I've lost zeal

Old 11-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having my daughter go with me this year, helped me a lot too. Now its about getting her into it more. And finding the time to go with her.
She got her first deer opening day at 7:35 am. Nice little button buck. I'm not sure who was shaking more, me or her. But it was a moment she and I will always have.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jerry d
Has this ever happened to any of you. It started last year, sleeping in when I should have been in the stand, getting out of the stand when it was still light. Even passed on a respectable shooter.

Yesterday was the rifle opener(11-19) rain, wind so I didn't go. This morning perfect morning, didn't go. I get a phone call @ 8AM,my hunting pard thought I was in the stand, he shot a nice 8pt. needed a hand getting it out told him i'd be there in 1/2 hour(our stand are a 10min. walk apart) he ask why..."because i'm still home".

Went out this afternoon about 1:30 back in the truck @ 3:00 headed home. I guess i'm loosing the passion.

How the heck do I get it back?!?
I cannot tell you the answer. I didn't have time years ago due to work, but once I got married and moved closer to the family farm, my passion for hunting grew even more once again. Plus I am in a small circle of friends that are always pumped up to shoot big deer, so they get me pumped as well...
Old 11-23-2016, 05:09 AM
Spike

If it's not fun anymore take a season or 2 off. See if you miss it or not. I bet you will be back in the woods within 2 seasons.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

try to go back to the roots---maybe a recurve bow new challenges ???
Old 11-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Spike

Don't put pressure on yourself by loosing your focus upon the whole experience. When the conditions are best get out there, when there not take a break. If you get lazy and don't prep well you will see little or nothing and get discouraged. And even when you do everything right accept the plain reality that no one see's Deer or shooter Bucks all the time. When its slow I soak up the peace and quite and count it a good day in the woods. Passion comes and goes, when its hot get out there when it not take a break. Also hunt with a friend I find it an encouragement to have a buddy near by. What he see's may stir me up and make the fact that I'm not seeing anything no big deal. I took two years off and came back with renewed passion this year, it paid off for me, got my best Buck ever. You may just need a break for a year or so like I did. Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have found that if I have a period when I am more sedentary, (too involved in work, not getting out and getting excersise), I tend to put off doing even things I want. The less you do, the less you want to do. Your body wants to be used, active. the busier you are, the more you want to do. Any chance you see that in yourself? if so, careful, because it easily becomes a unhealthy lifestyle change of inactivity.