Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Miracle

Old 11-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default A Miracle

I saw on the news Wednesday an old friend who was a manager who worked with me in the old days was missing while deer hunting. He is in his early 70's and hunting in the vast woods of Vermont's rugged Northeast Kingdom. He never returned to camp Wednesday night and they started a search. The land is mostly paper company close to the Quebec border and miles upon miles of swamps with softwoods more suitable for deer, bears and moose than people. I just saw on the news release that they found him alive. I am not sure at this point if he got lost or got injured but he managed to stay alive for 4 days. It has turned cold and is snowing pretty hard right now so he is very fortunate to have been found today. Glad to have you back Jack old buddy.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-20-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw that on the news. Didn't know that you knew him CI. He is very fortunate they he was found today.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:19 PM
Banned

he was lucky but had he died out there doing what he loved ,I would still say he was lucky.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

A folding USGA map and a compass can be a life saver. Enough basic skills to read the map and shoot a compass azimuth and the math skills to figure a back azimuth can be a life saver.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Lucky old timer. Had enough out door skills and the common sense to use them I bet.

Al
Old 11-21-2016, 04:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Lucky old timer. Had enough out door skills and the common sense to use them I bet.

Al

could be, don't know the circumstances. he could have had an accident and been hurt.

or maybe he just got lost, in which case his skills were lacking.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

Regardless of how he got into that situation, he's certainly fortunate to have come out alive.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:10 AM
Spike

Wow 4 days in the north east kingdom woods. That is a miracle. What a story to tell. Did not hear about this at all.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It may not have been a miracle

if his gps went dead; he wasn't carrying a compass as a backup; he wasn't using a safety device and fell out of a tree.
Then maybe I'd call it a miracle.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just had this kind of conversation with a friend.

If you hunt alone - make sure your "day" pack can make for a good "over-night" pack, if necessary......................

Sounds like his skills in the woods saved his life - God Bless !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.