Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best shot I've ever made on a deer >

Best shot I've ever made on a deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best shot I've ever made on a deer

Old 11-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best shot I've ever made on a deer

Long story... A family friend that hunted with us for many years died back in 1983 and he had a Remington 760 gamemaster 270. Cal... Anyhow my one uncle was left the rifle in the will....this spring while turkey hunting up at my uncle property me and my uncle got to talking and he was telling me that he didn't know what he was gonna do with all his guns being that he has no children that he trusted with his guns..
Well I knew he had the rifle that belonged to our family friend and I said to him that if he ever decide to get ride of his guns that I'd like to have that rifle and I'd buy it off him... Well couple weeks go by and I'm back up for the end of the turkey season and he said he had something he wanted to give me... Comes out of his bedroom with the rifle... And presents it to me as a gift and said that he knew I'd take care of it... So I told him I was gonna hunt this rifle season with this gun... I get the gun home clean it re set scope because cross hairs were out of level and I zeroed it in and it shot great 1" at 100 yards... I was amazed due to the fact this gun hasn't been cleaned in 30 somethin years... Well yesterday I'm in my stand and it's around 8am and I hear something walking across the hollow from my stand and I see a lone deer walking and I throw up gun and see antlers on his head and that's all I needed to see... Well this deer is steady walking and its brushy hard wood ridge... I can get a clear shot and deer is walking farther away with every step... I'm pretty much thinking that I'm not getting a shot and I see one last opening in brush and deer is like 80 or so yards and I see small hole in brush and I see deer is gonna walk threw it and as soon as he steps in opening I pulled trigger and all I could hear was deer crashing running straight down mtn towards bottom and I'm thinking I hit him... So I Tryed my best to mark were I thought deer was at when I shot... I get down and ease over to area I think deer was at and I'm looking for any sign kicked up leaves, blood... Well I'm looking for sign and all of a sudden I glance a ground and I see blood everywhere!!!! And I Jew as soon as I seen that blood spray that deer was DOWN!!! I follow blood trail and see buck layin there about 50 yards from were I first seen blood... Shot buck right threw the heart... Layed rifle on buck and just looked up towards heaven and said "Charlie this buck was for you" after pictures my uncle was pretty happy that this all worked out... This hunt took place on the public land in Western Md that my family and Charlie hunted for the last 50 years or so... So it was a special hunt for me!!! Thanks for reading
Old 11-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats, your friend is smiling down on you, those old 760's are pretty awesome, bought mine new in 1978, its brought home tons of venison.
RR
Old 11-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks RR... yea it's a nice gun and I'm sure I'll be taking it in the woods again soon
Old 11-28-2016, 07:42 AM
Banned

congrats an nice shooting