Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you do?

Old 11-17-2016, 06:17 AM
Spike

Default What do you do?

What do you guys think about this photo? What would you do? I went up to hunt my spot in North Central Kansas last weekend and it was like someone was playing a prank on me. Nothing was seen but small immature bucks and a couple does. I usually see 30+ deer in a day in this area and now it is only around 5, a couple small immature bucks and a couple does. Looks like some sort of AR strapped to his chest. Can't tell what the patch is on his shoulder. Maybe a coyote hunter? Nobody else should have permission to this property (good faith/long standing permission, not leased). This property is owned by a very old farmer. It is an area that is notorious for getting driven for 3-4 miles (heavy creek bottom) by hunters that trespass on anybody and everybody.

I sat 4 days along this area. It is in the middle of a 4 square mile section with no roads. It is a deer paradise, loafing ground as they make their way back to the bedding areas.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails What do you do?-ek000330.jpg  
Old 11-17-2016, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

I'd be very thankful that they didn't steal your camera
Old 11-17-2016, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Isn't much you can do as you do not own the land. Your also not there full time so even if you had so sort of document to say you had rights to have trespassers arrested your just not there.

Grin and bare it is about it.

My wife asked if I was going to post no trespassing signs at my UP deer camp. I told her no I live 6.5 hours away so could not catch ANY one any way. also the people who would trespass on land not theirs would just use the signs to set the place on fire.

Al
Old 11-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Probably all Hillary supporters. Heck of a world we live in with all the people who think they are entitled to things that belong to others.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, Hillary supporters packin AR's. That's rich! We know who it really is.

1. Maybe the old guy gave permission? It's possible... check with him to see if anyone stopped in.

2. I would do is try to be more selective and careful about where your cameras are. I'd suggest hanging them higher (out of line of sight and off to the side of trails) and if possible screw them or chain/cable them to the trees. A downward angle for deer works really well also, it can give a better perspective of tine length, and they rarely spot the camera.

3. If you know (and trust) people in the area, show the pic to them. There can't be too many people in the area with a rifle like that.

4. Perhaps post the picture in area bars and stores. Make a note that you have pictures of their face, but don't want to publicly humiliate them. Remind them that it is private property (along with an aerial photo showing boundaries) and they do not have permission to hunt or shoot there. If caught again authorities will be contacted.

Some suggest doing nothing. Unfortunately that never does anything. Be proactive and creative.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Around these parts having someone afield dressed like that with that type of platform and carrying it that way they wouldn't be hunters.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Handles, now you are an expert on who carries rifles? On the real side, after looking at that picture it looks a bit like military style clothes. Many game department's WCOs now wear military style clothing patrol and many carry AR style rifles and most times there patches are camoed as well so you can't read them until you are real close.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Handles, now you are an expert on who carries rifles? On the real side, after looking at that picture it looks a bit like military style clothes. Many game department's WCOs now wear military style clothing patrol and many carry AR style rifles and most times there patches are camoed as well so you can't read them until you are real close.
Kind of the way I looked at it. All areas are probably different but our f&W wardens don't dress like that while on patrol and normally don't carry the AR type platform unless on a direct mission with a likelihood of having to use it. The DEA guys looking for drugs do dress like that and carry that type of weaponry. Perhaps there is a pot grow somewhere on that piece of land which has come under surveillance. Kind of late in the year though from a harvest standpoint.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Our guys do dress in OD fatigues while on patrol but they do,not break out the ARs unless they have an idea they will need them. It could well be another law enforcement type as you have noted.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'd post no trespass an huntin signs as well as a poacher reward sign with your number .might scare and you might find a guy like me . If I lived there I'd make a deal with you and hunt them . I hunted a property and while in the stand , photographed and held two young men till my landowner and police came , he had had a rifle stolen from that stand that was found at the 17 year old poacher theif house. Something to consider , find someone local who has the time and maybe they can help you for hunting or reward ? Worth it for your deer back ,good luck hunting , maybe you can catch a human. Post it so if you do you can legally do something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.