HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Rechargable Hand Warmers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/410061-rechargable-hand-warmers.html)

Parrot Head 11-15-2016 06:51 AM

Rechargable Hand Warmers

Anyone have some and tried them. Good, bad, ok??

Joot 11-15-2016 07:26 AM

Never heard of them...I used disposable hand warmers only...

Oldtimr 11-15-2016 07:29 AM

Nope, I use hot hands2, I got a case for Christmas about 5 years ago and I have enough left for many years. Open them shake them up and stick them in my coat pocket before I leave home and by the time I arrive at my hunting spot they are nice and toasty. I take a couple of extra because you never know if you got a dud and you can carry a lot of them without taking up much room in the day pack or pocket. I hate gloves so my hands are in my pockets, warm until I need them. A long time ago I tried electric hunting socks, they were crap, I doubt I would ever use clothing that needs batteries to work again.

flags 11-15-2016 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4281462)
Nope, I use hot hands2, I got a case for Christmas about 5 years ago and I have enough left for many years. Open them shake them up and stick them in my coat pocket before I leave home and by the time I arrive at my hunting spot they are nice and toasty. I take a couple of extra because you never know if you got a dud and you can carry a lot of them without taking up much room in the day pack or pocket. I hate gloves so my hands are in my pockets, warm until I need them.

I agree with every word of this. Hot Hands and pockets. Go forth and slay the mighty whitetail.

Parrot Head 11-15-2016 10:30 AM

Heck these electric ones can even be use to charge ur phone on stand.

Oldtimr 11-15-2016 11:13 AM

That may be fine for those who play with their phones on stand, I don't I am on stand to hunt and my phone is turned off unless I need help.

Parrot Head 11-15-2016 11:38 AM

I was just thinking if someone uses a lot of them in the long run they would be cheaper. Heck I would use mine in the winter when I have recess duty here at school. I go out everyday unless it is below 32.

entropy4money 11-15-2016 11:57 AM

In Vermont we have no choice. Last weekend we were blessed with a Sunday with morning temperatures from 30 to 40. 25-33 in the mountain where I hunt. Saturday was about 22 for the whole morning. This week got really warm (50's) but haven't had a chance to go out; next week we are expecting temperatures below freezing and a snowstorm.

Nothing like a good pair of gloves for the cold days. For days with temps around the 40's, no gloves necessary. I am a total noob at deer hunting, but from winter sports experience, a good pair of gloves will keep your hands warm no matter what.

I know shooting with big gloves can be a pain. So liner style gloves and hand warmers in the pockets is a great idea. Those rechargeable gloves are super bulky, and trust me with that amount of money you can buy some really nice leather and gore-tex gloves. Gloves that would keep your hands warm at temps below -20.

flags 11-15-2016 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Parrot Head (Post 4281474)
Heck these electric ones can even be use to charge ur phone on stand.

Why would you take a phone into the stand? If I wanted to play with a phone I'd stay at home. Turn the thing off and pay attention to nature. If nature bores you so much you need a phone then you need a different hobby than hunting.

alleyyooper 11-15-2016 02:59 PM

Wonder if not even having a phone in the house at home had some thing to do with great grand dad getting so many bucks back in the day where there were few around to get.
Having nothing to play with he hunted.

:D Al

Valentine 11-15-2016 03:13 PM

Disposable and Non-disposable

I have non-disposable heaters for my toes. And non-disposable hand heater to last all day. The last one has lasted forty years and is ready for a lighter fluid charge this year.
As for hand coverings, I opt for mittens. My mittens have a covering for the trigger finger. I'm all set for cold weather. Don't have to take them off to shoot.

Parrot Head 11-16-2016 03:09 AM

Flags, I take my flip phone which is turned off in case something happens. Nature doesn't bore me trust me. I put in 643 hours in my stand last year and I am going to break that record this year. I have missed one day of our season here in 17 years and counting.

Champlain Islander 11-16-2016 07:15 AM

I never use hand warmers or toe warmers. Because of my daily ice fishing for panfish my hands are pretty tolerant to the cold. I use a lite weight pair of cotton gloves while hunting that is it.

Bocajnala 11-17-2016 01:57 AM

Frostbite? ...More like an Ice Tan! I don't have problems with my hands getting cold. My feet get cold if they are wet though. As long as I can keep my boots dry I stay pretty comfortable. It probably helps that I primarily hunt from the ground, especially when it's cold, and I do allot of still hunting....
-Jake

vapahunter 11-18-2016 10:06 AM

Many in our hunt club use texting to contact other hunters instead of walkie talkies and other device. Placed on vibrate they work better than many of the radios out there. Each to his own and safety includes being able to contact others in an emergency. Use what is available to your benefit.

Parrot Head 11-21-2016 04:12 AM

I got my 2 hand warmers Friday and had them in the woods this weekend. Very impressed so far.