HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Extra Motivation to Sit the Midday Hours (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/410044-extra-motivation-sit-midday-hours.html)

Landon DeKeyser 11-14-2016 10:10 AM

Extra Motivation to Sit the Midday Hours

So I have always been a fan of sitting all day once the rut hits, but sometimes have a hard time getting myself to do it. I often times find myself making excuses to head home for the midday hours of hunting. I'll admit, I just have a hard time sitting past 4 or 5 hours. Even when I know I should be doing it.

Here is an article a recently wrote about NOT sitting those midday hours and why I now regret it. I wrote this in hopes that it would encourage others to NOT make the same mistakes I did the last two weekends.

Check it out and let me know your thoughts! If you have some stories of killing deer mid day share them with me. I could use the extra motivation.

http://lifestylelost.com/index.php/2...er-whitetails/

In the words of the great Red Green "Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!"

Good luck to everyone!!

tim pierce 11-14-2016 10:58 AM

Good article. I'm a firm believer in staying put during the rut. Things can happen very quickly. I would rather put the time in and not see anything, rather than take a break and wonder what I might have missed.

flags 11-14-2016 12:31 PM

I've probably killed at least 25% of the deer I've killed in midday hrs. For me a day of hunting is from sunup to dark. Can't kill one if you aren't out there.

Mkinser777 11-14-2016 05:55 PM

Really enjoyed your write up! Do you write any books or just articles on the lifestyle lost web site? I would definitely be interested! The way you tell the story makes it hard to look away! Thanks

C. Davis 11-19-2016 10:56 PM

Landon D.
Last week on the 11th, I shot this buck at 11:30. Two weeks before that in October, I almost got a shot at him at 12:30 with my crossbow. He was about 3 steps from stepping into a clearing that would have given me a good shot. I read your story, and if I had seen all that action, I would never leave the stand. The day I shot this one, he was the only deer I saw all morning. I think I have seen more deer between the hours of 8:30 and 10:00. If the barometric pressure is high, I will always sit all day. Many times I don't have to because I get the deer early.

This is my grandson and I am trying to teach him that patience is a big secret to success. Now that I am getting a little older, I think being awake is right up there with patience.

" />

" />

C. Davis

kidoggy 11-20-2016 03:47 AM

If you can shoot a deer from yer sofa, you might be a redneck.

C. Davis 11-20-2016 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by kidoggy (Post 4282025)
If you can shoot a deer from yer sofa, you might be a redneck.

I've seen a love seat in a box stand. It wasn't mine, but I will say hunting on private land has it's advantages.
The number one rule for all day hunts is a comfortable stand. I don't think it gets more comfortable than the Summit Climbers. I have several box stands. I have a stand that I've had since the 80's called an Ambusher Stand. It is very comfortable. I have never used a hanging stand, but I am seriously looking to get one of these just so I can easily be on the other side of my honey hole when the wind changes. I want to be up 20 feet. I think this would be great with the shooting rail.

C. Davis

Champlain Islander 11-20-2016 11:41 AM

All I use now is a Summit climber when i am not still hunting. I can sit cradled in that stand all day. Easy to pack in too.

C. Davis 11-20-2016 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4282076)
All I use now is a Summit climber when i am not still hunting. I can sit cradled in that stand all day. Easy to pack in too.

The only downside to my Summit, or any climber for that matter is that I have to manage my time wisely when nature calls. If only the Summit had a quick descent feature.

C. Davis

Valentine 11-21-2016 06:45 AM

I keep my motivation for the midday hours

Home is usually to far away to make it home and comeback that afternoon.