Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How my local public land deer know the season has arrived >

How my local public land deer know the season has arrived

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How my local public land deer know the season has arrived

Old 11-13-2016, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How my local public land deer know the season has arrived

It slowly starts with bow season which increases in tempo as BP comes in. The deer are notified of human presence. The gun range opens in Sept. and closes end of March. All that shooting is good education for deer young and puts all deer on alert. Gun season-general firearms comes in-and crowds increase mightily. Hoards of people crossing the same trails to reach their location. People that can't sit still or figure out where they want to be constantly change spots.
The heavy increase of vehicular traffic on the game lands-most driving w/commonsense, others flying back and forth, creating excess noise on the hard, dirt, gravel road. With general firearms comes dog hunters; the barking a signal before their release.
The deer on this property have PHD's when it comes to duping hunters as hunter presence couldn't be more obvious. The same occurs year after year. Nocturnal deer are the norm. It's tuff huntin', but somebody's got to overcome it.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-13-2016 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Different seasons

On public land, pre-season is discovering if the deer are in an area. Gun season is discovering where the hunters are, who move the location of the deer.
Pre-season is finding deer and finding out where the average hunter will go. Finding how close an area is to a road or walk-in trail. Finding the "pretty" areas that draw hunters. Finding the more difficult areas that are in further or where the areas are that hunters will get lost.

Last edited by Valentine; 11-13-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

I bow hunt the LBJ Grasslands and other public lands all season, and I do agree I hunt the far hard to get to areas the hunters push deer to and I've also had success setting up front because everybody parks and heads to the back and the deer circle them to the front, I still prefer to hunt the hard to get to thickets or funnels and usually hunt mornings thru the day , not alot of evening hunts unless it's for pigs - good luck n God bless