Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my opening day doe

Old 11-09-2016, 03:12 AM
Dominant Buck

MLH I think a few of the guys have tried to give you good advice and obviously you aren't welcoming it. Shot placement is always a personal issue based on the accuracy of the gun, the skill of the shooter, target size and the distance. There isn't a seasoned person on these boards that hasn't learned through experience...some times the hard way. You have been told what many think and are holding to your own methods. I can safely say a head shot wouldn't be something I would brag about and around this campfire isn't normally well received as ethical.
I'll add this paste of rule 8 just to make my feelings clear.

Rule 8. Do not engage in “flame-wars” or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to “pick a fight” with one another.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-09-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LMAO boy are you WAY off the mark with that statement on HERE!!! Come on out to my 800 yard range little one and you will get a real education on marksmanship!!! My LEAST accurate rifle in my safe shoots just over an inch at 100 yards in 5 shot groups. And it's a TC Hawken sidelock! And there are MANY on this board that can shoot probably just as well as me. Some maybe even a touch better. I am gettin old ya know But even at 70 years old, I can still take a regular ole .30-06 with a lightweight contour Shilen barrel and bang a 10 inch gong at 800 with scary consistency!!

Even with that kind of precision ability, it aint so much the shooter as it is the target. Paper and gongs don't flinch! Paper and gongs don't move! Last but most importantly, paper and gongs don't run off with a blown off jaw and starve to death!
Since I now consider the OP to be completely irrelevant since he posts nothing worthwhile that I can see nor will he listen to an opposing view I have added him to a certain "list" so I can't see his posts. However I can see things if others quote them so I'll just say something really quick.

I personally don't consider being able to hit a tennis ball at 50 yards to be any sort of feat. I can do that with both a compound bow and a 9mm pistol. I've also shot deer with both a 9mm pistol and a compound bow but that doesn't mean I'd try a headshot with either. Before I retired from active duty in 2014 I was attached to a very "specialized unit" with the Navy's Expeditionary Combat Command. We shot all the time. I was required to be able to hit a 6 inch gong at 100 meters with a 9mm Berretta 7 shots out of 10 shooting unsupported. If I couldn't do that I couldn't be part of the unit. I was also required to be able to hit a 10 inch gong from the kneeling position at 300 meters with my M-4 topped with a Trijicon ACOG at an 80% rate. If I couldn't do that I couldn't be part of the unit. I was required to be able to hit a man sized silhouette target at 1800 meters with an M-1 50 cal machine gun set on a tripod with a mil adjuster. If I couldn't do that i couldn't be part of the unit. I had to recertify my expert qualifications every quarter to remain in the unit. And I still don't take head shots.

Here's my take on the OP. He is between 18-24 years old and is a part time college student. He doesn't understand that MEN go to work to support their families or he wouldn't have made the foolish comment about "waking up from a nap" and if he was working for a living and supporting a family he wouldn't be shooting 4 times a week. He lives at home with his parents and hunts land owned either by his parents or hus grandparents. The food plot he hunts was planted by his parents or grandparents and the blind was also built by them. Like all millennials he thinks he is an "expert" without understanding that any success he has is the result of work done by others and not himself.

And he will remain on the "list" from here on and I will post no more on this thread nor any other he writes since I find nothing relevant nor worthwhile in what he posts.

Last edited by flags; 11-09-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Did the dude ever ask for opinions on his methods in his initial post? Just cuz everyone seems to have one doesn't mean u have to share it.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by woodenb14
Did the dude ever ask for opinions on his methods in his initial post? Just cuz everyone seems to have one doesn't mean u have to share it.
"Dude" when you post stuff on an open hunting forum you leave yourself open to both positive and negative criticism. The posts several of us "old timer" put up was from decades of experience and was meant to help both the OP and other beginners understand the ethical way to take an animal and it's not by taking a head shot. How it was received and responded to by the OP was poor to say the least and exhibited exactly what flags mentioned. Youngsters need to grow up and listen to their elders who have had tons of experience doing certain things the correct way that they are trying to pass along to those just starting out in something and you may also be one of those that needs to rethink your methods based on your couple responses on this thread! Have a good day Sir, as I'm out of here with that suggestion.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

Wonder how many deer are crippled with stick and string as opposed to a head shot. From post on this and other hunting sites I would say a lot.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by turkey harvester
Wonder how many deer are crippled with stick and string as opposed to a head shot. From post on this and other hunting sites I would say a lot.
...Edited by Champlain Islander...

Rule 8. Do not engage in “flame-wars” or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to “pick a fight” with one another.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-09-2016 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Rule 8 baiting and flaming after my warn post-warning
Old 11-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats MLH!!