Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my opening day doe

Old 11-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

So what I gather from flags is that it is impossible to wound a deer if you aim for the vitals? Interesting. How is aiming for vitals any different from aiming at head? In either scenario there is a chance you aren't perfect and you wound the deer. I've shot plenty both ways.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flags
Give it up Dude. We are never gonna agree. I've shot a lot more game than you have and I've seen the results of poorly placed shots. You admit you never have. Well when you do see it perhaps you'll catch a clue.
Ahh I see you awoke from your mid day nap. Must get tired at that age. I will not and never will take a bad headshot at a deer. It's always a high percentage shot that IM comfortable with. Never lost a deer. It don't matter if you've shot one deer or 200. A dead deer is a dead deer. You've been trekking all over the mountain side trying to find a deer and mines laying 20 feet in front of me. Work smarter not harder. Smarter may not be something your familiar with??
Old 11-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by woodenb14
So what I gather from flags is that it is impossible to wound a deer if you aim for the vitals? Interesting. How is aiming for vitals any different from aiming at head? In either scenario there is a chance you aren't perfect and you wound the deer. I've shot plenty both ways.
He didn't say "impossible" nor in any way did he IMPLY "impossible"! What Flags is saying is the ODDS are much greater of a miss or a badly injured deer that will go off and suffer an extremely miserable death from starvation. I've seen the results of poorly placed head shots and it's in no way pretty. With a vitals shot, you have approximately 14-18 inches (depending on whitetail size) of target that will put one down quickly and efficiently. With a head shot, you have approximately a 2 inch target that can and does move quickly and everything around that very small target area, while not immediately lethal to the animal, will cause extreme suffering and eventual death.

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
Ahh I see you awoke from your mid day nap. Must get tired at that age. I will not and never will take a bad headshot at a deer. It's always a high percentage shot that IM comfortable with. Never lost a deer. It don't matter if you've shot one deer or 200. A dead deer is a dead deer. You've been trekking all over the mountain side trying to find a deer and mines laying 20 feet in front of me. Work smarter not harder. Smarter may not be something your familiar with??
There is a vast difference between working smarter and THINKING you are working smarter there young man. This old man was out there in the woods taking game before Flags was a gleam in his mommas eyes and I am 100% in agreement with him! Yes you have been successful so far, and that's wonderful. It's that 1 time that you pull or a deer flicks it's head just a smidge before you finish the pull on the trigger that he is talking about. But hey, if you couldn't care less about injuring an animal to the point that it suffers excruciating pain and starvation before dying, then you are one cold and heartless little fella. Before insulting those of those that have experienced that suffering, you may wish to take heed and listen! It's not a sight you will ever want in your memory. I still remember the first deer I came across with it's jaw blown half off and that was over 50 years ago! I wasted a tag on that poor bag of bones to put it out of it's misery.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

The guy has already stated more than once that he is not going to listen to anyone regarding head shots, and he WILL wound one down the line doing it and only he and the deer will know because it's obvious he will never tell anyone. It's people like this that call themselves hunters and conservationists that make we want to puke, but hey, in his case he doesn't seem to care about an animal possibly suffering because of his booboo! Why take a shot at a 2" target that can move at any moment compared to the vitals that are bigger than a basketball and will take an animal down in seconds with little to no loss of meat? Answer---None

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 11-08-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the end Flags. He'll send one away with a poor shot, severely wounded. But alas, he also won't have learned a thing.
Sad.....just sad.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

This guy is a clown and woodeb14 obviously can't read. I'm done with clowns. I pity the deer in his area because one will die a painful and lingering death at his hands and he won't care. I'll read no more if his garbage.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Banned

I hit tennis balls at 50yards. That's what i practice with. Not that difficult if your a good shot. Rock solid rest and a good scope that's dialed in perfectly like mine is all it takes. Some guys just don't have the patience the sight there Sh1t in so it's dead accurate like j take the time too. I shoot 4 times a week with it. .Trust me. I own a gun range and sight people's guns in as a side job. I know what I'm doing.

Last edited by Muzzleloaderhunter; 11-08-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flags
This guy is a clown and woodeb14 obviously can't read. I'm done with clowns. I pity the deer in his area because one will die a painful and lingering death at his hands and he won't care. I'll read no more if his garbage.
The only thing that's garbage here is you getting worked up about it! Your the only clown here. Get off my post and go complain about something else like all old people do. Because guess what, I'm gonna take a headshot on a doe every high percentage chance I get. It's really not that hard to do.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing that's garbage here is you getting worked up about it! Your the only clown here. Get off my post and go complain about something else like all old people do. Because guess what, I'm gonna take a headshot on a doe every high percentage chance I get. It's really not that hard to do.
No, we are talking about taking high percentage shots to humanely take an animal and a head shot is far from that compared to the size of the vitals. We also can all probably shoot as accurately as you can, but that is not the point. The head on a deer has about a 2" kill zone compared to the huge area the vitals consist of and it's just plain ridiculous to shoot at a 2" area that can move at any time before the bullet gets there when you have an 18" kill zone that will not ruin any meat when hit there. I don't have a rifle in my safes that will not shoot MOA groups and of over 100 whitetails, mulies, antelope, and elk that I have taken in over 50 years of hunting big game not one single one was shot other than in the vitals no matter what distance it was. You seem to have a very poor attitude towards the animals you are hunting based on your previous comments and it does not speak well of you.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hit tennis balls at 50yards. That's what i practice with. Not that difficult if your a good shot. Rock solid rest and a good scope that's dialed in perfectly like mine is all it takes. Some guys just don't have the patience the sight there Sh1t in so it's dead accurate like j take the time too. I shoot 4 times a week with it. .Trust me. I own a gun range and sight people's guns in as a side job. I know what I'm doing.
LMAO boy are you WAY off the mark with that statement on HERE!!! Come on out to my 800 yard range little one and you will get a real education on marksmanship!!! My LEAST accurate rifle in my safe shoots just over an inch at 100 yards in 5 shot groups. And it's a TC Hawken sidelock! And there are MANY on this board that can shoot probably just as well as me. Some maybe even a touch better. I am gettin old ya know But even at 70 years old, I can still take a regular ole .30-06 with a lightweight contour Shilen barrel and bang a 10 inch gong at 800 with scary consistency!!

Even with that kind of precision ability, it aint so much the shooter as it is the target. Paper and gongs don't flinch! Paper and gongs don't move! Last but most importantly, paper and gongs don't run off with a blown off jaw and starve to death!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.