Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips on Hunting the Rut?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Spike

Default Tips on Hunting the Rut?

Hey Guys,

I am new here, and wanted to start a discussion on tips for hunting the rut.

I have been Whitetail hunting since I was old enough to follow my dad out into the woods. In my many years, I tried lots of different things and come up with strategies that work for me.

With the rut coming on, I have been trying to think of ways to increase my odds. My rut hunting strategies are pretty strait forward, but work. If you care to read more about that, I have a post on my blog that covers it pretty well and can be viewed here http://lifestylelost.com/index.php/2...rutting-bucks/.

So here is my main question. Do you guys have any specific tactics you use when the rut starts heating up? I know that is pretty general, but just trying to come up with some ideas for next weekend.

Thanks all!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Banned

find the does, find the bucks.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Banned

There's really no tactic. The rut is crazy where I hunt. Just sit in a spot you've seen deer before and you'll see them again.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kidoggy
find the does, find the bucks.
+1

................and there you have it !!!
Old 11-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Do your scouting beforehand, be in the woods before sunup, be quiet, be scent free and finally be ready. Works everytime.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt food sources I know does frequent. If there are does, there will be bucks. I also make sure to stay vigilant and have my muzzleloader or crossbow ready to shoot at a moment's notice. Don't have your weapon leaning against a tree, or against the blind, or hanging on a hook. Have it in your hands/lap. Of all the bucks I've killed during the rut, I'm willing to bet most of them were shot within 10 to 15 seconds of when I first saw them.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Spike

Ok so it sounds like we are all on the same page here haha.
Just to get a little deeper into this topic, does anyone see real success with things like rattling, grunt calls, urine of either sex, mock scrapes, or any other tactics I have not mentioned. I used to try these things, and maybe some deer came in because of them, maybe not.

I know I have never killed a deer because of one thats for sure. Yeah I have grunted some young bucks in before, but they are not the smartest.

I used to read piles of hunting magazines when I was younger. I still get field and stream, but read one or two articles at best. The reason for this is because a lot of them are repeat themselves, and I don't know if the tactics are really something that works for most people.

However I could be wrong. Maybe I just don't know what I am doing. Have any of you had success killing mature bucks using tactics other than being in the right place at the right time?
Old 11-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

We are a couple weeks from whitetail rut here in Montana, but when it starts, I will be in the field ALL day long, bucks get crazy. I have had good luck with doe in estrus scents as well, It is a great time to be in the woods, bucks scraping and fighting, chasing does, best time of year to see what's out there!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

On the subject grunt tubes: I have one, not to call them in, but to get them stopped or, if the need arises, to try to get them to turn around if they're moving away from me. One buck that I spooked stopped running away and turned around to face me when I blew an aggressive grunt. If I didn't have my grunt tube that morning, I doubt I would have killed him. On the other hand, I've had younger bucks just look at me funny before going about their business when I called at them.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
On the subject grunt tubes: I have one, not to call them in, but to get them stopped or, if the need arises, to try to get them to turn around if they're moving away from me. One buck that I spooked stopped running away and turned around to face me when I blew an aggressive grunt. If I didn't have my grunt tube that morning, I doubt I would have killed him. On the other hand, I've had younger bucks just look at me funny before going about their business when I called at them.
I have used grunt calls to stop deer. I have never had them actually come any closer to me because of it. Rather than fumble with a call I usually just grunt with my mouth to stop them now. It seams to work just as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.