HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting from a ground blind (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/409701-hunting-ground-blind.html)

cal516 10-31-2016 11:22 AM

Hunting from a ground blind

I am going to be giving a ground blind a shot this season. It will be with my 10 year old son who has hunted with me before but its either been in a double ladder stand or just leaning against a tree I figured the ground blind will be more forgiving of movement and noise. I only hunt public land so I would have to set up the blind and hunt from it and then pack it out.

What are the techniques of hunting with them? How is the field of view? Any issues spooking deer because its "new" etc etc......Or do they pay it no mind......?

Oldtimr 10-31-2016 11:31 AM

You want to conceal the blind s much as you can, don't just sit it at the edge of a clearing. As far as techniques go, it is the same as a tree stand, place it where there is deer activity. The only advantage I see for a ground blind is if you have a child that can't sit still it covers movement better than a ladder stand.

cal516 10-31-2016 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4279043)
You want to conceal the blind s much as you can, don't just sit it at the edge of a clearing. As far as techniques go, it is the same as a tree stand, place it where there is deer activity. The only advantage I see for a ground blind is if you have a child that can't sit still it covers movement better than a ladder stand.

Thanks for the reply. And yeah I am hunting with a child and that is the reason for it. I have been reading up on them some and what I am wondering about is timing of set up. I only hunt public land and won't be leaving it in place. I will set it up and hunt it......I know that is not ideal but it is the best I have.

SecondChance 10-31-2016 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by cal516 (Post 4279047)
Thanks for the reply. And yeah I am hunting with a child and that is the reason for it. I have been reading up on them some and what I am wondering about is timing of set up. I only hunt public land and won't be leaving it in place. I will set it up and hunt it......I know that is not ideal but it is the best I have.

Just for safety reasons and maybe law in your state, you may have to place a hunter orange flag over your blind to alert others that you are there. Plus, I use bag lawn chairs to hunt out of my pop ups. Comfortable and content all day. Depending on the weather, you can take a small Mr. Heater and be real nice all day. Depending on your set up, I only leave the main window in front open and just crack the sides to cut down on the head weaving back and forth on the opposite side window. Also, practice setting it up a few times at your house till you can do it quickly and QUIETLY. If it has Velcro windows, try to open them prior. I also don't use the back door to get in and out. I use the front window and have it zipped all the way down before getting into it. Cuts down on noise.

mrbb 10-31-2016 01:46 PM

I don't know if this interest you or not but a couple tips I use!

but all my pop up blinds I have used, all had a SHINE to them I didn';t care for
I found a way to get rid of it by, I got muddy water and dumped it all over them
I figured when it dried it would leave a duller finish, add maybe some more natural scent to things as well

I also never open ALL the windows, as doing so you stick out in it, having a window open behind you
I only open as small as possible too

TN Lone Wolf 10-31-2016 04:37 PM

A few years ago I set up a pop-up blind on a field edge late one afternoon, and the next day I had a buck repeatedly chase a few does within about 30 yards. What really took the cake was when that buck came within a few yards as I was packing up to leave. I could smell him, he was so close. He didn't pay me any attention whatsoever since he was hot on the trail of another doe.

You definitely want to set your blind up within some cover and brush it in to further conceal it. If your blind has mesh velcroed in the windows, take it out even before the hunt.

BrushyPines 11-01-2016 06:12 AM

All prior post have really good advice! This is my first season as well using a ground blind and I did some research on them to learn more about hunting out of a blind. Only thing that I could add is instead of wearing camo, wear all black (even your hat), to blend in to the inside of the blind. Using black face stick to cover your face would help tremendously too.

cal516 11-01-2016 08:48 AM

Thank you all for the input. One of my major concerns is that since I hunt public land is that I can't preset the blind before I hunt. It will be the same day (morning or evening).....A buddy told me that as long as I am well off a major trail it should be fine......

SecondChance 11-01-2016 09:44 AM

If you have the blind already, put it outside so it can air out a bit before deploying. Spray it down with scent away spray and leave out a few days to get rid of that new store smell. I also zip the front window about half way up when im in it to cut down on the black hole affect. And the side windows I leave the screen mesh up for I only leave use them to look out, not shoot if I don't have a really good shooting opportunity out that way.

mrbb 11-01-2016 10:29 AM

if you leave set up on public, be prepared to possible have it stolen, don't kid yourself, , far too many things left overnight even can grow legs and be gone
when I hunted public lands I ONLY used cheap blinds and MOST times even them I took down at night and laid down and covered with things to help hide them, then when I return I can set up a LOT faster having it more or less pre set, and NOT having to carry it in every time!
I have also, carried in my blinds before season to spots and set them up, removing any DEAD branches , that could be in the way, saving time for when I come back in hunting season, this saves you a LOT of trial and error on best placements for it to blend in best and check to see how far away it can be seen
even set yardage markers too

prep can some times be the best tool we have!