Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting from a ground blind

Old 11-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

IT WILL BE GONE !!! Some hunters do not respect other hunters any longer, have lost ga,e camera,s ladder stands, hang on stands, ribbons , had someone take a dump in a pop up on private land !!!
Old 11-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
If you have the blind already, put it outside so it can air out a bit before deploying. Spray it down with scent away spray and leave out a few days to get rid of that new store smell. I also zip the front window about half way up when im in it to cut down on the black hole affect. And the side windows I leave the screen mesh up for I only leave use them to look out, not shoot if I don't have a really good shooting opportunity out that way.
Black hole affect?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BrushyPines
Black hole affect?
Yeah, I have left my blind with the windows down and the screen not in, mine has camo screens. I leave the side ones one, take the front one off. When I left and walked off about 50-75 yds, I could see the blind for its "Black Hole affect" of the windows left open. That's why I leave the screen up on the side windows and just use the front window 1/2 way. I leave it that way when I leave and just open it a bit more to get in. I usually just push it down and step in through the open window.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Yeah, I have left my blind with the windows down and the screen not in, mine has camo screens. I leave the side ones one, take the front one off. When I left and walked off about 50-75 yds, I could see the blind for its "Black Hole affect" of the windows left open. That's why I leave the screen up on the side windows and just use the front window 1/2 way. I leave it that way when I leave and just open it a bit more to get in. I usually just push it down and step in through the open window.
Hmmmm. I've never thought about that. I usually leave side windows and back windows up with no screen on the front window and leave the camo screens on the corner windows. I always leave that front window open at all times, so I think the deer are use to it by now.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cal516
I am going to be giving a ground blind a shot this season. It will be with my 10 year old son who has hunted with me before but its either been in a double ladder stand or just leaning against a tree I figured the ground blind will be more forgiving of movement and noise. I only hunt public land so I would have to set up the blind and hunt from it and then pack it out.

What are the techniques of hunting with them? How is the field of view? Any issues spooking deer because its "new" etc etc......Or do they pay it no mind......?
This hunt with your boy, is it going to be a bow hunt or a gun hunt?
Old 11-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Spike

I used a popup ground blind yesterday. I had it in place approx. 1 hour before daylight. Here's some thoughts from that experience.

1. Leaves- you will have to move leaves from inside your blind. Very hard to do quietly so I would recommend that you do it beforehand.

2. Don't stake it down if possible. It was pitch clack when I got in it. When daylight came my view wasn't the best. I simply pushed up fin the middle and rotated it.

3. Put it up for a few days before using it.

4. Practice taking it down, If it's a popup blind, this is the hardest part.

5. wear black, not camo

I'm anxious to see what success I have with mine this year too
Old 11-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

I have had success with putting up the blind the same day.Bein that you have to pack it in and out set it up in cover and in a blind spot on approachin game so that you can ambush em.Go in the area durin the day and scout and take the blind and set it up to see how good it is concealed and also how your view is out of it and adjust as necessary.Have the ground cleared of woods litter and when you want to hunt you,ll be all set up to set it up and hunt.Good luck.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Banned

Brush it in real good. Put blaze orange on top for added safety. That should be a rule in every state during firearms season in my opinion. Spray it with scent spray or doe urine. Don't open the windows all the way. Wear black to match the interior color. Don't leave every single window open. Be very quiet getting in because your at ground level with deer so they can hear you easier.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Spike

Make sure the chair your child will be in is tall enough for them to see & shoot through without having to strain to make the shot. Maybe a pillow or cushion on top of the seat for height & comfort. Best to test it out for any possible noise makers which can be from scooting in the chair or making any movement in it.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Banned

Brush it in, tuck it in nicely IN the edge of the woods not on the outside. Wear all black and use scent control because they smell you easier when your ground level