Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer just dropped off corn quick! >

Deer just dropped off corn quick!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer just dropped off corn quick!

Old 10-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Spike

Default Deer just dropped off corn quick!

What causes certain times in the year for deer to just drop off corn at random I use persimmon flavored corn and it always gets eatin up quick and now it's barley getting touched?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Acorn crop dropping?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by RPD63
Acorn crop dropping?
Maybe but my land is mostly thickets with a 2 acre food plot I've got winter peas and radishes and wheats and oats in there but they don't really seam to be hittin that much eaither
Old 10-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunting pressure, or just presure from YOU or others using the area, too much scent or?? LACK of cover from leaves falling!
other crops being cut, and or corn being cut and them loosing there cover and such, moving to safer lands?
I don't know where your at, but if you had a frost or two and others have food plots planted near by, making them more attractive to deer?
a LOT of reasons can cause this, even BAD corn, too dry and or went bad and was sold any how(can be moldy and then if they COAT with something to hide it?) or just corn laying on the ground too long, wet damp corn can get moldy FAST and deer won't eat it if they have other options!
Old 10-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer get cravings for whatever they lack in their diet. Sometimes it's protein, try mixing protein pellets in with your corn (a little goes a long ways). Sometimes it is fat and oils (Acorns), nature telling them to put on a fat layer. When it gets really cold they seem drawn to sweet stuff, the sugar helps them stay warm. Many plants make their own sweet stuff, natures natural antifreeze, usually happens after the first frost.

When a Deer gets a deficiency they can smell the solution a long ways off.

I've watched Deer cross numerous fields of pretty much the same crop/forage to feed on another field that looks they same as what they crossed. Best guess is the soil differences and trace elements. They have a nose attuned to what they need on a molecular level.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

just after buck dispersal does especially go into hide mode as bucks begin to harrasse the does after ignoring them for 10 or eleven months, have seen this happen for years they get a little feed at night but do not stay long as the are getting followed and somewhat harassed will get worse real soon __ keep watching the area bucks will begin to show up during the day looking for the females H H
Old 10-31-2016, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

We are having the same thing with our turnips, radishes and clover. We have no oaks on our property but there are a ton a couple miles away. I firmly believe the deer have moved there temporarily. They will be back in our plots when the acorns dry up.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Spike

MudderChuck said it well they just need different things for their diet