HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   To early for doe estrous scents? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/409594-early-doe-estrous-scents.html)

Muzzleloaderhunter 10-26-2016 01:32 PM

To early for doe estrous scents?

Is it to early to put out a estrous scent wick?

super_hunt54 10-26-2016 01:52 PM

Yep, it would probably have the exact opposite effect you wish for. It MIGHT attract an immature buck but a good mature buck would go on alert. Right now is probably a good time for a male tarsal gland scent. At least around here it would be. Mock scrapes with a male tarsal gland scent would probably get some action from both bucks and doe.

SecondChance 10-30-2016 08:10 AM

I agree with SH on this one. I helped drag a buck the other day, about a 3-1/2-4yr old. And he wasn't in rut yet. His glands were somewhat dark n musky, but not like in a week r two!!! His neck wasn't swollen either.
I kills me how the "SuperMarts" start putting these items out on the store shelves in Sept already and guys go buy it and take it straight to the woods and cant figure out why they are not seeing anything!! :nonono2::confused0024:
When my dad still had his store before retiring, he always kept the tarsal glands from the younger bucks. I still have about 100 in the freezer and begin to use them now and have killed more big bucks over them than the doe estrous scent that I get directly from my buddies deer herd that I help him collect from.

I use only drag rags as opposed to scent drippers. I find that they are more effective and can work for I can circle my stand, hang it to the upper wind side and put the deer where I expect to get my best shot from. I also begin to drop the rag about 100yds out and freshn it up about every 50yds. I add a good little amount of drops, step on with my boots a bit and keep going to my stand. I make my drag rags with the scent wicks and about 4-5ft of white carpenters cord. I soak the wicks when I get to where I am going, hang and then get in my stand. I put them about 25-30yds from the stand about 5ft high to cover more distance.

JGFLHunter 10-31-2016 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Depends where you hunt. Estrous scent where I hunt will not work anymore. Prime rut was late August thru first week September. Have doe tags and my brother got one over the weekend with a little something something extra in her.

SecondChance 10-31-2016 09:43 AM

Went out last night and took a fresh bottle of Doe-in-Heat. I used my drag rag and drooped it with in the last 75yds in a winter wheat field. The stand sits in a cul-de-sac setting of a field. I made a big loop up wind of the stand and finished up slightly upwind with the rag on a stick in the field. Was in stand after getting off duty at about 330ish. Heard a buck ever so slightly grunting down wind/ down in the timber. Nothing came in out in the field. About 515ish an older slickhead came out. Crossed my path and followed the trail straight to the rag and licked it off the branch in the field. I used it as a yardage marker. She left, came back, left again. Never seemed to spook of it. So l guess it is near the rut time is near at hand. I let her walk for we are short of does here and with not taking any deer last year at this property and only 1 buck the year before, it is showing that the does are reproducing well and still need a hand from what I have seen. Plus, where the girls are, the guys will follow!!!!!! Gun season in 2 weeks.

rockport 10-31-2016 08:56 PM

This guy was chasing does around in front of my stand Wednesday (of course I wasn't in it)

super_hunt54 10-31-2016 11:01 PM

LOL!!! You wouldnt have shot that little dink anyway Rock! :D

rockport 11-01-2016 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4279122)
LOL!!! You wouldnt have shot that little dink anyway Rock! :D

LOL Yeah I think I will let him grow until he gives me a shot.

kellyguinn 11-01-2016 05:41 AM

Been a weird year around here. 2 hours south of me they are rutting hard but at my place the glands aren't even starting to stain. I have never seen a year quite like this and I'm guessing the temps have a little to do with it.

BrushyPines 11-01-2016 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4279116)
This guy was chasing does around in front of my stand Wednesday (of course I wasn't in it)

That's how it usually goes, Rock. ha