HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Squrriels VS deer sounds from a distance (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/409516-squrriels-vs-deer-sounds-distance.html)

Muzzleloaderhunter 10-22-2016 08:48 AM

Squrriels VS deer sounds from a distance

How would I decipher a squirrel from a deer when i here leaves getting crunched? I've thought it was
A squrriel before but here comes a deer. Other times it sounds like a deer but it ends up being a Squirrel.

bronko22000 10-22-2016 10:08 AM

Pretty hard to do especially when a squirrel is searching for acorns or other foods. But normally if you hear 3,4, or 5 quick steps its likely a squirrel bounding across the forest floor.
Years ago I had a squirrel harassing me while bow hunting on the ground. He would come up close to me, get in a nearby tree and start chattering at me. It got to the point that I had to throw a stick at him to chase him away. About 20 mins later I heard steps behind me and thought that darn squirrel was back. I turned around and came face to face with a 6 point buck! I was fortunate enough to arrow that buck when he circled downwind to try and catch my scent.

nchawkeye 10-22-2016 02:34 PM

I grew up squirrel hunting and to me it is quite easy, a deer is more of a crunch, crunch, crunch a squirrel is more like a flitter coming through the woods...The cadence is more regular with a deer walking than a squirrel...Close you eyes sometimes and hunt with your ears, you should be able to identify within 50 yards every creature you hear in the woods...

PaJack 10-22-2016 03:25 PM

Good luck with that! When you figure it out,let us all know...:wink:

alleyyooper 10-23-2016 02:21 AM

I am with Nchawkeye

Wingbone 10-24-2016 02:22 AM

Everything is a deer until proven innocent.

Bob H in NH 10-24-2016 10:11 AM

To me when I hear a squirrel I think it might be a deer, so I look. When I hear a deer walking, I know it's a deer. Not sure how.

Squirrels, I think, then to "shuffle" the leaves more, while deer are a more distinct "crunch" of the leaves. Not sure if that makes sense.

Fretwear 10-24-2016 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wingbone (Post 4278034)

+1 hehe

just try not to be constantly moving while looking for all the "possibles".

TN Lone Wolf 10-24-2016 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wingbone (Post 4278034)

That's a good attitude to have. I've had a few deer sneak up behind me because I decided to ignore the "squirrel" noises.

That said, it seems to me that squirrels are a bit louder a lot of the time.

scottycoyote 10-25-2016 08:31 AM

in my experience if its making a lot of noise, its a squirrel