HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shot Placement at Close Range (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/409388-shot-placement-close-range.html)

rjones_ca 10-14-2016 06:47 AM

Shot Placement at Close Range

Hi New poster to this website just looking for opinions on shot placement (also searching this post for previous post’s) so here is the setup Mossberg 935 rifled barrel 4x fixed scope using partition gold 12g 3inch sabot from tree stand 12foot high, new area for hunting so have clear spot between 20 -60 yards. I have put corn/apples down at 25yrds from stand so here’s the question where would you aim on the whitetail deer. Text books say behind front leg but because of dense bush around me I really want to drop deer in its tracks, I have spent my time sighting in and I’m maintaining a 1/2inch group (freehand) 1inch high of center at 30yrds so I’m comfortable with my shooting. Thanks in advance for your replies.

flags 10-14-2016 07:02 AM

Shoot a deer in the same place as you would at long range. Middle of the chest. The only way to ensure one drops in the tracks is to spine it or break both front shoulders. The spine is an "iffy" shot in my opinion and hitting both shoulders wastes too much meat. Punch the lungs and get the skinning knife ready.

Deer react differently to shots. Some drop on their chin and another may run off even if they are hit in identical spots. Different animals, different reactions. But if you hit the heart/lung area you'll kill the deer. May have to follow it a little ways but that is always a fatal shot.

uncle matt 10-14-2016 07:43 AM

Keep It Simple

Champlain Islander 10-14-2016 08:00 AM

I have shot a few with that slug setup and it hammers them. Like flags said through the heart lung area on a broadside shot almost always puts them down either immediately or in a short run. If dropping them is important like not wanting them to get off the property a shot through the shoulders drops them in one spot. It does ruin lots of meat though so the spot to aim is a personal choice. I don't advocate neck or head shots simply due to little room for error.

MudderChuck 10-14-2016 08:25 AM

Like the guys said, go for the high percentage shot, heart-lungs. But remember their heart is lower in their chest than most people think. The shoulder slants top to the rear, the heart is low and almost above the front leg. A little below the center line and nearly under the shoulder bone will put them in a pile most times.

With a high speed rifle cartridge above 2600 FPS or so, you really don't need to cut the backbone with a neck shot. Under the backbone are numerous large arteries. The shock drops them and they bleed out before the shock wears off and they can get back up again. Most times they go down in a pile, take a few breaths and expire.

I'd guess maybe 30% of my shots are neck shots. Near the property line, in a place where they may bolt across a road or into housing. I wait for the perfect shot, head down feeding, center of neck maybe 4-8 inches from the base of the neck. I've never had one take another step with this shot. If anybody tries it and has any different results please PM me.

One reason I like the neck shot is they rarely have an Adrenalin dump. I can taste it when they die hard. Funny but in my experience many women like Adrenalin (hormone) soaked meat. I like my Deer young and don't especially like Adrenaline (hormone) soaked meat.

super_hunt54 10-14-2016 09:37 AM

That's not the adrenaline you are tasting Chuck. That taste is the result of a buildup of Lactic Acid in the muscle tissue. It's the reason Rutted up bucks 90% of the time taste horrible unless you seriously marinate or milk soak the meat.

Here is a good place to aim if you want to drop one in it's tracks. Like others have said, it will ruin a little meat but not really all THAT much. Especially with that big and slow slug.

Champlain Islander 10-14-2016 09:55 AM

Probably explains why all my deer taste great...they aren't big and all rutted up. :happy0001:

I never did like the taste of antlers.:D

super_hunt54 10-14-2016 11:55 AM

I aint found a good antler recipe meself CI!

I shouldn't say they all "taste horrible". What I meant was that "gamey" taste that many find unpalatable. I don't like it myself so I found ways to counter it. Any marinate that will counter the Lactic Acid is good. Milk is about the best way to neutralize it. Red wine is also fairly good at neutralization as well as cover flavor. A good Burgundy mushroom sauce is pretty fine vittles with back strap or roast :D

flags 10-14-2016 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4276806)
I aint found a good antler recipe meself

Antlers are good for stirring the stew or gathering dust.

super_hunt54 10-14-2016 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4276810)
Antlers are good for stirring the stew or gathering dust.

Don't forget hanging your cookin apron on! :D