Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot Placement at Close Range

Old 10-18-2016, 01:25 PM
  #21  
Nontypical Buck
 
super_hunt54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,695
Default

Mine was 1 moose and 2 whitetail. The Moose was more self defense than hunting. Although I was after him, he spotted me and was after ME. A bull Moose coming down on you wanting to stomp you into a mud hole will convince you to drop him however you can as FAST as you can! I put 2 VERY fast rounds of .30-30 right between his eyes and right in the ridge line of his forehead. I knew I was quick with a lever gun but I thoroughly surprised myself that day. The 2 whitetail, the shoulders were covered by a tree and they were about to get outta there. Like Flags, this was when I was young and halfway stupid and didn't know any better. Hadn't ever come across injured deer yet and the soft spot in my heart for animals was still pretty hard. Once you come across starving and badly injured animals because of hunters stupidity you will mend your ways.
super_hunt54 is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 01:36 PM
  #22  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nonya damn business
Posts: 141
Default

I wouldn't change my ways. Only time I don't shoot at the head is if it's a buck. And if you read my first comment you would see 11 of my 13 deer so far in my young life were head shots. The other 2 was a nice 8 and a little 10. Quick and ethical and they don't feel a thing
Muzzleloaderhunter is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 05:25 PM
  #23  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,230
Default

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
I wouldn't change my ways.
Find a starving bull elk with its lower jaw shot off and you will. You admit to being young, hopefully you'll gain some wisdom as you gain some years.
flags is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 07:55 PM
  #24  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nonya damn business
Posts: 141
Default

Well 11 headshots taken and 11 dead deer. I'm not being cocky but I'm very accurate with my Cva accura. No reason to change it so why would I. If it Ain't broke don't fix it and it's far from broke.
Muzzleloaderhunter is offline  
Old 10-19-2016, 06:22 AM
  #25  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,230
Default

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
Well 11 headshots taken and 11 dead deer. I'm not being cocky but I'm very accurate with my Cva accura. No reason to change it so why would I. If it Ain't broke don't fix it and it's far from broke.
If you're only shooting 15 feet like you claim then you should be accurate. But that still doesn't mean a headshot is a good option. So you've killed 13 deer. I've killed 89 of 3 species. All in all I've taken 68 species of game on 3 continents and I know no serious hunters that advocate a head shot under normal shooting conditions. None.

Like I said, find a starving elk with its jaw shot off and then come talk to me. Bottom line the chest is a bigger and better target. Always has been and always will be. Somehow I doubt you would be honest on this site and admit it if you did blow a head shot. Funny that the bad shots never get talked about. I hope you get wiser as you get older because the game deserves it and doesn't deserve being left to starve after you do blow the shot and make no mistake, eventually you will.
flags is offline  
Old 10-19-2016, 08:19 AM
  #26  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,834
Default

Originally Posted by flags
If you're only shooting 15 feet like you claim then you should be accurate. But that still doesn't mean a headshot is a good option. So you've killed 13 deer. I've killed 89 of 3 species. All in all I've taken 68 species of game on 3 continents and I know no serious hunters that advocate a head shot under normal shooting conditions. None.

Like I said, find a starving elk with its jaw shot off and then come talk to me. Bottom line the chest is a bigger and better target. Always has been and always will be. Somehow I doubt you would be honest on this site and admit it if you did blow a head shot. Funny that the bad shots never get talked about. I hope you get wiser as you get older because the game deserves it and doesn't deserve being left to starve after you do blow the shot and make no mistake, eventually you will.
I, as well as many others here, do not advocate the hunting ethnics behind the thought process of taking game as you have stated that you have. Myself as well as Flags and many others here have taken game in many other states and on other continents. We are all of the age and experience to know what is the better percentage of CLEANLY AND ETHICALLY harvesting any animal that we encounter in our hunting ways no matter of what our particular chosen method may be at that time. I am 53yrs old, I have hunted in 29 states and 5 foreign countries with 100's of animals harvested. I have only taken a handful of headshots during those times and I can clearly recall 5 that were to humanly finish an animal that was not shot properly in the beginning and was on its way to a horrific and painful death. I gave my tag up to finish what someone else failed to do. And 2 were with bow, and 3 were with firearm. I am a Certified Hunter Safety Instructor and I STRONGLY advocate to my students either take an ethical shot, or don't take it at all. I tell them to put themselves in that animals position. How would you want to go? What we are saying is that if you truly are purposely taking these animals like you say you are, you will eventually wound an animal that you could have waited a minute and took the MUCH higher percentage shot of the broadside and saved that animal the suffering. With age will come wisdom, just take it from those who have been there, done that and have multiple shirts to prove it.

Last edited by SecondChance; 10-19-2016 at 11:18 AM.
SecondChance is offline  
Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 AM
  #27  
Nontypical Buck
 
BarnesX.308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Audubon & Red Rock, Penna.
Posts: 4,472
Default

A head shot leaves all the blood in the meat. I'd rather have the deer bleed out.
BarnesX.308 is offline  
Old 10-19-2016, 11:19 AM
  #28  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: central wi
Posts: 629
Default

take out the shoulders very little tracking
Hatfield Hunter is offline  
Old 10-20-2016, 07:40 AM
  #29  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,834
Default

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
take out the shoulders very little tracking
Take out the shoulders, very little tracking is true. But, very little good meat left in the area as well!!! I have done that before also, just didn't like throwing all that meat away.
SecondChance is offline  
Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 AM
  #30  
Boone & Crockett
 
bronko22000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 12,749
Default

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Red wine is also fairly good at neutralization as well as cover flavor.
Lynn - How much of this wine do you drink before eating the venison to cover the gamey taste?
bronko22000 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.