Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Gov't at work

Old 10-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Big Gov't at work

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/05...st-damage.html
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never understood the whole govt mentality. I fully understand that they sometimes need to cull to keep populations in check but I can't for the life of me understand why they can't sell permits to the average hunter to do the trigger work. Why stick the taxpayers for something you could use to generate fees?

About 15 years ago my native CO wanted to thin the deer herd in the area around Ft Collins because of CWD. In that area was Lorry State Park. The DOW sold unlimited antlerless permits and they opened the park to hunting. You could submit the heads of any deer taken to be tested for CWD. I personally took 5 does off the state park and they all tested negative. Didn't cost the taxpayers any $$$ for "sharpshooters" and in less than 2 month they had the herd trimmed to the level they wanted it at. They could do the same type of thing here.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as you were in the Navy you have to ask about the Gov. doing anything that makes rational sense?
Old 10-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
As long as you were in the Navy you have to ask about the Gov. doing anything that makes rational sense?
They do like to spend money.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would guess this is partly explained by east coast anti-hunting mindset.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flags
Never understood the whole govt mentality. I fully understand that they sometimes need to cull to keep populations in check but I can't for the life of me understand why they can't sell permits to the average hunter to do the trigger work. Why stick the taxpayers for something you could use to generate fees?

About 15 years ago my native CO wanted to thin the deer herd in the area around Ft Collins because of CWD. In that area was Lorry State Park. The DOW sold unlimited antlerless permits and they opened the park to hunting. You could submit the heads of any deer taken to be tested for CWD. I personally took 5 does off the state park and they all tested negative. Didn't cost the taxpayers any $$$ for "sharpshooters" and in less than 2 month they had the herd trimmed to the level they wanted it at. They could do the same type of thing here.

cause our government don't like hunters. get rid of hunters and you get rid of gun rights.

yep. government runs like the military. there's the military way and then there's the right way.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

This could've been a money maker, selling cull permits for youth and disabled hunters. At least the meat will get donated to food banks.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JoeA
This could've been a money maker, selling cull permits for youth and disabled hunters. At least the meat will get donated to food banks.
Since these a federal lands, hunting is against the law. Congress would have to get involved. Sharp shooter are allowed since they are culling the herd. Symantics in favor of the Fed. Same thing had occurred at Manassas Battlefield. The tax payer cost is over a million dollars at manassas last year.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tourangeaud
Since these a federal lands, hunting is against the law. Congress would have to get involved. Sharp shooter are allowed since they are culling the herd. Symantics in favor of the Fed. Same thing had occurred at Manassas Battlefield. The tax payer cost is over a million dollars at manassas last year.
??????????? You do know all "public hunting lands" are State and Federally owned right? National parks open up every now and then to cull certain species and no it doesn't take an act of congress. Using hunters to cull has been a long standing tradition. It's just been recent years that they started leaning more towards "professional sharp shooters" to appease the tree huggers.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

The government doesn't want to make money on anything but student loans. Many times they could turn an expense into a profit center. But they won't. But the one place they shouldn't be making money. They are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.