Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe Wheezed and came back

Old 10-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default Doe Wheezed and came back

Yesterday morning I was hunting with my bow. We have this one doe that is always wheezing. In all my experiences that meant you were busted and you might as well pack it in and head back to camp and have some biscuits and gravy. But yesterday morning she snuck up on me and I noticed her when I saw her head moving while she was eating. When she moved and there was a tree and brush between her head and me I got up and got ready. She must have winded me because she wheezed, moved away about 10 feet and started stomping her feet. I decided to just be patient and wait and see what happened. She circled the open area from one side to the other in front of my stand then she actually came back in right under my stand. Needless to say I got my first bow kill with her. I've learned something. If they wheeze and stomp just stay put and be quiet.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

She probably wasn't wheezing but snorting at you because she didn't know what you were if she smelled you she would have been gone!if you have a deer call next time that happens use your calls then they will think your another deer as long as they don't see or smell you. Congrats on your deer !
Old 10-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, mate!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

yeah usually when they blow it means they really dont know what you are. When im walking on the ground and have one blow at me i blow back, a lot of times they will think you are just another deer and go back to what they were doing.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Spike

Yep, if a deer blows at you, it doesn't mean the hunt is over.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
yeah usually when they blow it means they really dont know what you are. When im walking on the ground and have one blow at me i blow back, a lot of times they will think you are just another deer and go back to what they were doing.
I've always heard when deer blow at you they're warning other deer that there is danger in the area? To back this up, every deer that has blew at me left the area & did not come back that day.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

I never enjoy it when they wheeze, because they usually go for quite a while before coming back, but they do usually come back nonetheless. I do sit from daylight to dark usually though. I may have to try the wheezing or blowing back though, like scottycoyote said. I actually think that could work in the right situation.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BrushyPines
I've always heard when deer blow at you they're warning other deer that there is danger in the area? To back this up, every deer that has blew at me left the area & did not come back that day.
well if you just stand there and do nothing, they probably would leave. Its blowing back at them that settles them down. I have also thrown up my hands on either side of my head like they are ears, and twisted them around like deer do, and had deer settle down and go back to eating before as well.

i think the blow is just kind of a "hey who goes there" kind of thing....if you say nothing then they know something is there and they split
Old 10-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

You really have piqued my curiosity on this blowing back at them, scotty!
Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

when they snort at you like that they don't know what you are because they didn't see or smell you so they are scared but try to verify what you are so if you reply to a snort or whatever you call it with a doe bleat or grunt that will settle them down and may bring them in your direction so sit tight call to them and get ready to shoot !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.