Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

therma cells stink

Old 10-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default therma cells stink

so many mosquito,s had to try the therma cell so I could get out to bow hunt---heard many folks say the do not affect deer in any way well I,ll tell ya I was skeptical but thought that many must be right---HA their all liars I scared so many deer I may not recover at those spots this year !!!! I could smell it so could the deer !!! H H
Old 10-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could easily have fired up the Thermacell BEFORE you got in the woods to check if you could smell it......
Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I havent had any problems yet with any of mine. I keep 2 in my hunting gear/clothes tubs. I have used them for deer and bear hunting. No problems yet.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used mine for many many yrs, and at times have deer 15-20 plus of them any where from 5-50 yrds DOWN wind of me and NO issue's
YES it has an order to them, but it seems to be one that doesn't effect game
I have a LOT of critters here and get all sorts of them to come close to me when I have used mine
rather risk, scaring a few critters than donating a pint of blood and swatting at them pesky bugs, way more movement than I wish to be doing while hunting!

your call, but I have no issue's with using and killing deer!
Old 10-04-2016, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Never seen one deer spook due to the thermacell. I would bet money they smelled or saw you. I have gotten away with some crazy set ups even with the thermacell rolling like a freight train and the deer dead down wind.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Spike

I use the lantern size in my blind. I can see it smoking and have never had a problem with deer spooking.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Love mine. Never hunt Florida without it. Hunt the wind.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tufrthnails
Love mine. Never hunt Florida without it. Hunt the wind.
Man you HAVE to use something down there in FL. Dang skeeters there have tail numbers and FAA landing clearance!
Old 10-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Man you HAVE to use something down there in FL. Dang skeeters there have tail numbers and FAA landing clearance!

You ain't kidding bud.
Little side note been gator hunting a few evenings/ nights after work and left my therm one evening, but I found a bottle of spray my wife had left in my truck it's the repel 25% deet dry. Normally I HATE sprays due to the oily crap that gets on everything, but this stuff doesn't suck and it did okay at keeping the skeeters at bay. I'm still not a fan of spraying deet on my skin, but it's better then being sucked dry and dying from blood loss!
Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

An odd smell may spook a Deer, but IMO they smell odd stuff all the time, whether they associate it with danger is an iffy thing.

I occasionally sprinkle a bush with Nuc Mam when hog hunting. Nuc Mam really stinks, almost as bad as Skunk.

One of the best trophy Bucks I ever saw was sniffing a bush I'd sprinkled with Nuc Mam for Hogs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.