Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I got my first deer with....?? >

I got my first deer with....??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I got my first deer with....??

Old 10-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Spike

A bowie knife.

I came home from overseas and bought my first bow in 2009. I was also shopping for a Jeep. That same day I went hunting for the first time with my brother-in-law and near dark I had a phone call from the dealership. I had to pee so I went ahead and got down from the stand. While peeing and talking on the phone, 5 bucks walk up. I threw the phone, picked up my bow, and shot a 6 pointer in the now dark. It fell right where it stood and I though that meant I did the right thing. About 10 minutes later when my BIL came to my area, the buck got up and headed straight for the huge drop-off of a holler.

All 3 of us wrestled down that hill for about 10 minutes until my BIL finally got a good hold on him and I ended the suffering with his knife.

Noone ever believes it, but that was my first hunt. The next 2 times I went I also harvested nice deer. Since, I haven't got a deer in 4+ years.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage 111 in 30-06. A nice doe made the mistake of stepping out of the woods below a pond dam. I was sitting above the valley.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:06 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

a Proline youth bow we bought at a yard sale for $20.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fretracer
A bowie knife.
BS. You said you shot it with a bow. Lots of us on the forum have used a knife to finish the job but make no mistake that deer was tagged with an archery tag wasn't it?
Old 10-02-2016, 05:45 AM
Spike

They didnt stipulate that it had be legal. They said first. If you are close enough for a bow a cci mini mag will work too.

Last edited by Superman70; 10-02-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
BS. You said you shot it with a bow. Lots of us on the forum have used a knife to finish the job but make no mistake that deer was tagged with an archery tag wasn't it?
This always makes me wonder. Technically... finishing a deer with a knife is illegal in many places. But most of us have done it...
-Jake
Old 10-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

A borrowed Mod 94, doe @
70yds.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

An Emil Ketner Mauser in 9X57 from a tree stand. I was an adult at the time, the deer was an eight point buck.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Spike

With a 12 gauge shotgun with double 0 buckshot in GA. Little basket rack 5 point. The funny thing was when my brother threw him over his shoulder crap flowed out of where one of the pellets went in the gut and all over his shoulder...haha
Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

I hunted for 10 years without being successful. Took my first deer at dusk with a Horton Steel Force crossbow. The shot was about 30 yds, downhill in the last moments of visibility. Scrawny Doe ran about 100 yds before she tumbled up. I will always remember that hunt.