Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting new land question!! Set out pines >

Hunting new land question!! Set out pines

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting new land question!! Set out pines

Old 09-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Spike

Default Hunting new land question!! Set out pines

I was given permission to hunt land this year that joins my property. The new land was clear cut a few years ago and has been set out in pines for a few year. I would say most of the pines are around 8-10 feet tall. I went to the land for a few minutes this past Saturday and found tracks on a very small open spot but still grown up. Most of what I could tell is that it is grown up pretty good and wont be much open area. Whats the best method of hunting this? This is my first time really hunting pines. Even though the land joins me, I have always hunted hardwoods. I haven't scouted the rest of the land, planning on doing that in the coming weeks.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if they would let you do this, but if it were earlier in the off-season I would certainly consider going out there with a chainsaw and cutting open some lanes. Even tossing some clover seed in said lanes. However, we're getting very close to hunting season, and now's probably not the time to mess around in what is probably their bedding area. I may be wrong.
I'd say morning hunt the hardwood area immediately adjacent to the pines (because you'll get in the stand before it's light enough for them to see you). Best is if you know where there's a game trail or rub line they'll be taking as they return to their beds, and your stand is easy-access so you don't walk near where the deer are feeding before shooting light. If you get your stand 30' up the tree, you may even catch a glimpse of a deer in the thick stuff---but your shot opportunity will come and go quick.

In late gun season (not sure what state you're in or when that'll be), this will probably be a good evening hunt, since pressured deer by then try to stay in their beds until it's dark. The closer you are to the bedding area, though, the better chance you might have of getting a shot right before shooting light ends. That said, be careful with using treestands too close late in the season...my dad spooked a large buck at the end of Tennessee's season because he was right on the edge of a pine bedding area on an adjacent property (similar to your setup) with no leaf cover in his stand tree, and the deer saw him climbing. All my dad saw was the buck mosey on out of the pines into distant hardwoods. I, on the other hand, was about 70 yards into the woods and had a deer walk to within 20 yards of me as I was sitting on the ground...about 10 minutes after shooting light was over. I made the mistake of not being close enough to the pine bedding area to have enough light for a shot. Could only see it had a big body---don't know if it was a buck or doe.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Ask for permission to TRIM some lower limbs off the pines. You don't need a chain saw to do that TRIMMING either. A good set of loppers works just fine, I have a set of $50.00 29" Corona that cuts 3" branches.

If the land owner is raising the pines for lumber in the future you should get permission to do that. You can find a well used trail thru the area then start looking for the less traveled trail close but parrarll to the well travels trail. Use the TRIMMED limbs to make a ground blind some distance away I like at least 30 yards. Do that in several places so you can work the wind. Also keep your eyes out for funnels, narrow spots from one section of the woods to another. A narrow dry passage between a marsh, that sort of thing.

Al