Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
hunting were i found deer sheds >

hunting were i found deer sheds

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting were i found deer sheds

Old 09-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Spike

Default hunting were i found deer sheds

Is it wise to hunt were í found two different sheds?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends. The sheds were dropped in late winter, most likely well after the end of deer season, and sometimes by then deer are in a completely different pattern than they were during the season. Was it in the woods or in a field? Were there rubs or a game trail nearby?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Sheds show you that a buck was there. Probably in January, Feb or March... So ya... you could.... But that doesn't show anything other than a buck was there 6 months ago. Look for fresh sign. Rubs and scrapes will be starting soon. Find travel routes, Between bedding and whatever they're eating. Sheds show you what bucks are around, what made it through the season, and sure where the buck was. I've found sheds that were in a bucks primary bedding area. So it could be a good sign... but they could also drop off in an area a buck will never return to.
-Jake
Old 09-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by younggun308
Depends. The sheds were dropped in late winter, most likely well after the end of deer season, and sometimes by then deer are in a completely different pattern than they were during the season. Was it in the woods or in a field? Were there rubs or a game trail nearby?
Its in the woods and its in the the middle of a field and some thickets also I put a feeder there and there is a trail
Old 09-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

So the two sheds were in different places, one in a field and the other in the woods---or is the field in the woods?
Be sure to check with your state's regulations to make sure you can use a feeder when you hunt, otherwise you'll need to be sure that it's gone before season starts. Either way, in general it's a good practice to set up near a deer trail early in the hunting season, making sure of course that you are positioned to where the wind is blowing in your face and perpendicularly to the trail. How far away you are from the trail naturally depends on the weapon you're using.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe. Some deer herds are migratory and move into winter sheltering areas where they drop their racks. They may not be in those areas during the open season.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jose20kay
Is it wise to hunt were í found two different sheds?
Sure, but only if the results of all your scouting puts you in that area. Otherwise hunt where the deer are and scouting should answer that question for you.