HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   hunting were i found deer sheds (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/408791-hunting-were-i-found-deer-sheds.html)

jose20kay 09-10-2016 05:46 PM

hunting were i found deer sheds

Is it wise to hunt were í found two different sheds?

younggun308 09-10-2016 06:21 PM

Depends. The sheds were dropped in late winter, most likely well after the end of deer season, and sometimes by then deer are in a completely different pattern than they were during the season. Was it in the woods or in a field? Were there rubs or a game trail nearby?

Bocajnala 09-10-2016 06:26 PM

Sheds show you that a buck was there. Probably in January, Feb or March... So ya... you could.... But that doesn't show anything other than a buck was there 6 months ago. Look for fresh sign. Rubs and scrapes will be starting soon. Find travel routes, Between bedding and whatever they're eating. Sheds show you what bucks are around, what made it through the season, and sure where the buck was. I've found sheds that were in a bucks primary bedding area. So it could be a good sign... but they could also drop off in an area a buck will never return to.
-Jake

jose20kay 09-10-2016 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by younggun308 (Post 4272543)
Depends. The sheds were dropped in late winter, most likely well after the end of deer season, and sometimes by then deer are in a completely different pattern than they were during the season. Was it in the woods or in a field? Were there rubs or a game trail nearby?

Its in the woods and its in the the middle of a field and some thickets also I put a feeder there and there is a trail

younggun308 09-10-2016 06:58 PM

So the two sheds were in different places, one in a field and the other in the woods---or is the field in the woods?
Be sure to check with your state's regulations to make sure you can use a feeder when you hunt, otherwise you'll need to be sure that it's gone before season starts. Either way, in general it's a good practice to set up near a deer trail early in the hunting season, making sure of course that you are positioned to where the wind is blowing in your face and perpendicularly to the trail. How far away you are from the trail naturally depends on the weapon you're using.

flags 09-11-2016 05:52 AM

Maybe. Some deer herds are migratory and move into winter sheltering areas where they drop their racks. They may not be in those areas during the open season.

Jimmy S 09-15-2016 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by jose20kay (Post 4272535)
Is it wise to hunt were í found two different sheds?

Sure, but only if the results of all your scouting puts you in that area. Otherwise hunt where the deer are and scouting should answer that question for you.