HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   That flapping little leaf--any way to capitalize on that information? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/408756-flapping-little-leaf-any-way-capitalize-information.html)

Father Forkhorn 09-09-2016 07:14 AM

That flapping little leaf--any way to capitalize on that information?

You've probably all seen many times that one little leaf that for whatever reason is flapping around in the woods while all the other foliage is relatively still.

Is that potentially useful information?

I took a woods walk this morning, and stopped at a pond. While sitting there I noticed a leaf flapping on a tree across the water. Everything else was still. I got to thinking how I often see this on a deer hunt. You always wonder if it's a deer nibbling browse or some such, but then you look closely and can see it's only a leaf.

This pond is in a steep sided gulch, surrounded by woods.

younggun308 09-09-2016 02:52 PM

Sometimes dead leaves get suspended in spider webs and spin with what seems like endless inertia (sort of like the little balls people like to use as office decorations). I wouldn't imagine those say anything useful, but it sounds like you're talking about live, green leaves still attached to the branch.

Father Forkhorn 09-10-2016 11:07 AM

it sounds like you're talking about live, green leaves still attached to the branch.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about.

It just got me wondering if this might tell you something that might avoid a deer winding you or something.

Just supposin', but two things occurred to me as I've thought more:

1.) This might be related to thermals, updrafts, downdrafts, etc. in which case it would definitely affect whether you'd want to be set up on high or low ground.

2.) Your scent may be moving towards that little spot. The old air moves out or maybe upward as with a thermal, new air moves, and some of that has to be coming in part from your location. (air moves from high pressure to low pressure).

The wind is in theory carrying your scent, and could allow a deer to wind you from a place that isn't directly downwind.

:confused0024:

younggun308 09-10-2016 06:24 PM

If that were the case, though, wouldn't the rest of the leaves be moving, too?

TN Lone Wolf 09-10-2016 08:47 PM

I know what you're talking about. I've always thought it had more to do with the concept of resonant frequency or something like that. I mean, it's most likely caused by a slight air current passing by, but the reason the current only shakes the one leaf is because it affects that particular leaf just right to make it flap wildly.

GTOHunter 09-11-2016 08:53 AM

It caught Your attention right......use it to Your advantage when Coyote/Predator Hunting,take a small Feather and hang it from a tree branches then make a few Distress sounds,more than likely a Coyote or Bobcat will hear the sound and come in and see the movement of the Feather and You'll get a Predator.

Personally I think that the ever so slightly moving leave is balanced just perfectly or at the right angle/direction to be moving in the slightest amount of wind,yet it is intriguing and catches or attention to why only that 1 object is moving when all others it dead calm around it....use it to Your advantage when out Hunting!

BarnesX.308 09-13-2016 08:21 AM

It's God just messin' with your head. :D

Father Forkhorn 09-17-2016 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308 (Post 4272841)
It's God just messin' with your head. :D

As a priest, I can surely appreciate this comment! LOL