HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I found a good one (new picture added looking at camera)) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/408569-i-found-good-one-new-picture-added-looking-camera.html)

rockport 08-30-2016 01:06 PM

I found a good one (new picture added looking at camera))

Champlain Islander 08-30-2016 01:12 PM

Wow nice buck

super_hunt54 08-30-2016 01:12 PM

And right in front of one of your ladder stands no less! Think he'll be sticking around for another month?

rockport 08-30-2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4271260)
And right in front of one of your ladder stands no less! Think he'll be sticking around for another month?

Yeah he is local...had him at 40 yards last year and didn't get it done.

Here he is last year

younggun308 08-30-2016 01:40 PM

Good grief! That's a fine rack; good luck!

rockport 08-30-2016 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by younggun308 (Post 4271263)
Good grief! That's a fine rack; good luck!

I'll need it.....he smarter than me.

super_hunt54 08-30-2016 02:05 PM

They don't get old being knuckleheads. Probably a good thing you missed him last year. He's at a good killing age this year. More than likely was dominant last year and got himself 2 or 3 Does spreading those impressive genes!

rockport 08-30-2016 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4271269)
They don't get old being knuckleheads. Probably a good thing you missed him last year. He's at a good killing age this year. More than likely was dominant last year and got himself 2 or 3 Does spreading those impressive genes!

I didn't miss him I never shot. He was in range(40 yards) but acted like he was going come right by me so I waited.....he zigzagged a little and caught my wind.
His genetics are showing up in younger bucks.

younggun308 08-30-2016 02:19 PM

Nice to have a dynasty like that in your herd!

PaJack 08-30-2016 03:14 PM

Nice buck!

TN Lone Wolf 08-30-2016 05:33 PM

Those are some great bucks for sure! Would you, uh, happen to need a hunting buddy? ;)

rockport 08-30-2016 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf (Post 4271293)
Those are some great bucks for sure! Would you, uh, happen to need a hunting buddy? ;)

LOL Season is a month away so a lot of "buddies" are starting to show up.

super_hunt54 08-30-2016 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4271297)
LOL Season is a month away so a lot of "buddies" are starting to show up.

Aint it funny how many "friends" you have around this time of year Rock?

rockport 08-30-2016 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4271299)
Aint it funny how many "friends" you have around this time of year Rock?

This year when they ask "whats it gonna take for me too hunt?" Ive been telling them "Well, being here in the off season when I was doing the work would have been a damn good start."

I swear a lot of people think it just happens on its own...hell half of them have their own spot they just haven't managed properly.

No you don't get to shoot 2 year olds on your spot then come sit on my place and hunt the bucks I have patiently let grow up.

super_hunt54 08-30-2016 07:04 PM

I told Henry we could let 4 or 5 hunt on the properties this year to help in taking some Does and rag Bucks out but he was like oh hell no! Not yet! I think he's just thinking with his wallet. We are starting to see some pretty dang heavily antlered animals now and they are just getting bigger. He know's I'm selling out soon and moving the family back to Kentucky so he knows he's going to seriously "rack up" (I am REALLY getting good at this pun thing) in the money in the next couple years. It's been a fun 9 years getting those lands producing and holding really good deer so I know exactly what you mean about all the work. Granted yes deer sometimes just pop up with really nice headgear but the simple fact is, to get and HOLD really nice consistently big Bucks, it takes lots of work, a hell of a lot of patience, and proper culling and management practices to get that consistency.

Just yell next summer Rock and I'll send one of the boys over to help ya some.

rockport 08-30-2016 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4271306)
I told Henry we could let 4 or 5 hunt on the properties this year to help in taking some Does and rag Bucks out but he was like oh hell no! Not yet! I think he's just thinking with his wallet. We are starting to see some pretty dang heavily antlered animals now and they are just getting bigger. He know's I'm selling out soon and moving the family back to Kentucky so he knows he's going to seriously "rack up" (I am REALLY getting good at this pun thing) in the money in the next couple years. It's been a fun 9 years getting those lands producing and holding really good deer so I know exactly what you mean about all the work. Granted yes deer sometimes just pop up with really nice headgear but the simple fact is, to get and HOLD really nice consistently big Bucks, it takes lots of work, a hell of a lot of patience, and proper culling and management practices to get that consistency.

Just yell next summer Rock and I'll send one of the boys over to help ya some.

Ive got a bad situation going on right now and may be taking next year off. My landowner and good buddy has brain cancer. It doesn't look like he will be farming next year. Its tough because I refuse to run a crooked over hunted operation which makes it hard to compete with those who have no problem doing just that.

Not a good situation. Obviously my hunting operation is the least of our worries but I gotta take some time and decide if I want to start over and do this kind of business with anybody else.

super_hunt54 08-30-2016 07:56 PM

Sorry to hear that Rock. As I said, if you need help just yell. I'm pretty much worthless nowadays in the "hard work" area at my age and with all my knee and shoulder issues but me boys are still strapping bulls and will go where paps tellsum to! You just yell kiddo and you will have a bull or 2 helping ya! I'd say Id send me oldest girl out to ya but she'd just tick you off and take over. Dang wimmin :D She's the smartest of them all but unfortunately she's also the meanest.

rockport 08-30-2016 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4271315)
Sorry to hear that Rock. As I said, if you need help just yell. I'm pretty much worthless nowadays in the "hard work" area at my age and with all my knee and shoulder issues but me boys are still strapping bulls and will go where paps tellsum to! You just yell kiddo and you will have a bull or 2 helping ya! I'd say Id send me oldest girl out to ya but she'd just tick you off and take over. Dang wimmin :D She's the smartest of them all but unfortunately she's also the meanest.

I appreciate it. We have a 40 acre farm in scott county with a little hunting shack. Just me and the family and taking a year to do a lot of hunting Ive kinda been missing for awhile......Dove,Quail,squirrel,rabbit,turkey is really sounding pretty good to me.

Its a couple miles from the Illinois river and about 1200 acres of public land I can teach my daughter how to hunt small game and bank line flathead catfish, trap the river for fur etc. Ive also been considering primitive equipt. on public land.

Deer hunting consumes so much of my time ive been missing a lot of that stuff. It may just be time for me to shift gears a little next year and start teaching my daughter the things that I learned long before I ever learned how to consistently take 6-10 year old whitetail.

For now though I have every intention of putting one more bruiser on the ground this year..

Edit: Yesterday I typed this and today I leased 60 more acres about 12 miles from the 40 acre farm.

BarnesX.308 08-31-2016 04:24 AM

That is a really nice buck!!!!

If you have too many friends showing up to hunt, throw a couple work weekends into the mix. They will suddenly have a lot of family obligations. :D

BrushyPines 08-31-2016 06:19 AM

I hear you on "friends" showing up out of nowhere wanting to hunt, but not put in the work! haha That's a nice one, Rock. Best of luck to you this year trying to harvest him!

fritz423 08-31-2016 08:59 AM

Would you mind sending me GPS coordinates to your camera? Thanks in advance...

[email protected] 08-31-2016 10:22 AM

Fantastic Deer

Good luck I hope you get to show us a picture with your tag on him!!!!

uncle matt 08-31-2016 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by fritz423 (Post 4271366)
Would you mind sending me GPS coordinates to your camera? Thanks in advance...

41*45'06.92"N, 87*33'08.82"W

ALWAYS alot of shooting going on there!

BarnesX.308 09-02-2016 04:42 AM

I know the GPS coordinates of my trail camera and have for 3 years. But still haven't seen my buck during hunting season.

I got the numbers but the water is too deep, the current is too strong and it's way to windy for me to hold anchor. :D

olsaltydog 09-02-2016 05:03 AM

Great looking buck and a testament to your commitment to managing your herd. Good to see it paying off for ya.

rockport 09-02-2016 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by olsaltydog (Post 4271585)
Great looking buck and a testament to your commitment to managing your herd. Good to see it paying off for ya.

thanks

Useless text because "thanks" apparently isn't enough text to create a post.

Sheridan 09-02-2016 07:56 PM

Out in the day light - I love that !?

Good luck !

rockport 09-02-2016 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4271673)
Out in the day light - I love that !?

Good luck !

Only 2 daylight pictures in over a year though.

Been seen 4 times on his feet in the daylight. Once I had him at 40 yards the other 3 he was coming out of the same field at the exact same time as this latest picture. His beds are obvious. right now he is bedding between 2 crop fields in high weeds....no chance to get him there.

Champlain Islander 09-03-2016 06:08 AM

The information you have followed up by patience and a little luck make your chance of success greater. I doubt 1% of all hunters have as good Intel on such a great buck. Good luck.

Sheridan 09-04-2016 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4271680)

Been seen 4 times on his feet in the daylight. Once I had him at 40 yards the other 3 he was coming out of the same field at the exact same time as this latest picture. His beds are obvious. right now he is bedding between 2 crop fields in high weeds....no chance to get him there.

He obviously feel comfortable there.

When the chit hits the fan, I would expect him to head to that area...............

Sheridan 09-04-2016 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4271680)

When the chit hits the fan, I would expect him to head to that area...............

rockport 09-04-2016 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4271792)

The cover there will be gone by then but I know where he goes and what he does, the challenge is being there one of the few times he does it in the daylight.

rockport 09-09-2016 07:31 AM

Champlain Islander 09-09-2016 09:06 AM

You are a very lucky hunter to live in an area that grows them like that. Slammer of a buck and good luck catching up with him.

rockport 09-09-2016 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4272377)
You are a very lucky hunter to live in an area that grows them like that. Slammer of a buck and good luck catching up with him.

It has its ups and downs.....the down being its the only big game animal we have.

BarnesX.308 09-13-2016 08:19 AM

the down being its the only big game animal we have.
I thought you were in Wisc. No bears?

Our season opens up 3 weeks from Saturday. Lugnut is officially on notice. Got a few pics of him out of velvet last weekend but can't find the pics. I think the SD card is back in one of my other cameras. Hope I didn't delete. :)

rockport 09-13-2016 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308 (Post 4272840)
I thought you were in Wisc. No bears?

Our season opens up 3 weeks from Saturday. Lugnut is officially on notice. Got a few pics of him out of velvet last weekend but can't find the pics. I think the SD card is back in one of my other cameras. Hope I didn't delete. :)

No, I'm in Illinois

2 weeks from Saturday for me