Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Could the rut be on here in PA >

Could the rut be on here in PA

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Could the rut be on here in PA

Old 10-22-2003, 06:14 PM

Default Could the rut be on here in PA

I drive 68 miles one way to work, and all of a sudden in the last 3 days there have been 15 road kills[] Most of which were during the day. Looks like the deer activity is up... could the rut be on?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could the rut be on here in PA

The rut won' t peak for a few weeks yet, but I imagine that it could be starting.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the bucks I' m seeeing are still in their bachelor groups,scrapes are just starting to appear.The sudden increase in activity could be due to alot more hunters in the woods-squirrel hunters and muzzleloaders.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

It has started,there are some early birds out there.I;m seeing a increase in scrapes
Old 10-23-2003, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watched 4pt and spike chase around some does last night. Looked like they were in pursuit but at the same time it looked like the does weren' t interested. They kept running away.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

i think there rutting pretty good...i watched a nice sized basket racker for over a minute...it looked like he was rutting hard core...nose to the ground moving fast...and he tore the crap out of a sapling to take out some anger...it was great to watch......i think the weather change set them off...mihgt not be full swing but it looked like rutting to me
Old 10-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

This brings up a Question?? I always heard as a youth from the old timers. It got to get cold to make the deer breed. Well it never worked that way for me.the colder it was out side , shrinkage occurred. Anyway is it not a biologic clock in the deer rather then the weather??? If it never got cold and we had a mild fall ,does that mean the deer would not breed? I lived in South Texas near the Mexican border.Always hot. Them buck still sowed there oats
Old 10-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was told it was a time frame not a wether thing also, it just happens about the same time as the weather change. I have not seen any signs yet but the time is near.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is two things the rut is getting closer. The corn is starting to come off. Their summer time hang outs are no longer there.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:40 PM

I think it is beginning...
This morning I watched a six-point with the tiniest rack chasing a small doe. His head was to the ground and he was charging. The poor doe finally ran off and the buck bedded down about 35 yards away. He sure had a dejected look about him.

Here is what the PA game commission says about the rut:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/wildlife/deer/rut.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.