Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where did they go?

Old 08-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Spike

Default Where did they go?

I've been watching a group of bachelor bucks the whole month of July, with the last photo taken on July 26th. Now 14 days later and not a single photo of a buck. I'm still seeing many does and fawns but no bucks. Do you think they're still in the area? It's strange that the group of 7 bucks were around like clockwork for the whole month only to disappear.

Last edited by rlhans00; 08-09-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

They probably found another food source nearby. My guess would be soybeans.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

The OP didn't say where he lives and what the bucks were in where he got those photos, but I would agree that they found another food source better than what they were on. I've seen up to 19 bucks and not a single doe in one lush soybean field in late August here in southern MI and they were there every night until the field turned yellow and was about ready to be harvested.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with food source change as well, but.....he said he's still seeing plenty of doe and fawn.

Another thing that's going on now is that the days are getting shorter and the bucks' testosterone levels are going up. They still have their velvet, but not for long. They may be starting to abandon their bachelor herd mentality and looking into establishing their territories in preparation for the upcoming fall. Maybe.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

They are starting to shed right now in my area.
Starting to see autumn olive bushes tore up from them trying scrape the stuff off.

Al
Old 08-11-2016, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Already losing velvet in MI? Ours don't shed until the first week in September. I guess every buck is different. I got a picture of a buck from August 4th who still had his tips shiny and bulbous.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a thought, but when the Antlers start to harden they need extra calcium and phosphorous in there diet. If they aren't getting it where they usually feed, they will move.

They can follow their nose for long distances trying to find needed trace elements in their diet.

Flood plans and anyplace that gets washed out on a regular basis is likely to be Calcium deficient.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bucks go where they want to go

Not necessarily where some hunter sets up his trail cam or where a hunter sets up his one tower stand.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw 7 bucks together on the side of the road, a couple hundred yards from the cabin. Trail cam pics have slowed down but they are still there.