Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands? >

Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands?

Old 09-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My sons and I hunt a rolling upland farm in the Midwest along with the guy that rents the house and his wife and sons. Due to not always knowing where everyone is I much prefer an elevated stand. MudderChuck is exactly right. Those bullets will go a long way when you shoot across country from ground level so I want most of them being aimed toward the ground. We do use ground blinds but mostly tripods and tree stands. The ground blinds are usually used to watch a particular draw and in cold wx. Of late we have had warm weather in the Nov. gun season.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt from both during bow and rifle but during late season it's strictly shooting shacks for me. Guess I've gotten soft in my old age! This past season I shot 2 bucks from shooting shacks and 1 doe from a stand. I still like the feeling of being in a tree stand over a blind. The view is better and I feel more in tune with my surroundings.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Tree stand without a doubt , just feels more like hunting than sitting in my elavated box blind , when I'm dressed right the colds not really an issue
Old 01-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I don't prefer a tree stand

I found it necessary in the warm climes of the south. Hunting on the ground in the south, with leaves on the trees, was brutal. Too easily discovered by deer, before you discovered the deer.
See less need of a tree stand in colder weather, especially when leaves are off the trees.
Find tree stands are popular with one kind of hunting fits all. A human response of copycat, rather than close analysis.

I'm afraid some have gone to treestands, not out of any deep necessity, but also having to avoid a walk deep into a wooded area. Some hunters are suffering the ravages of being out of shape and over weightness; not necessarily a sense of hunting wisely.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

In the region I'm hunting now I prefer my climbing stand . I attach my backpack to it with all my gear and I'm good for the day. With the spot I'm hunting now it's almost 2 mile hike in so I've locked my stand and even my cart to a tree. It hard getting away from the crowd sometimes lol
Old 01-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

I think people get WAY to hung up on what they "prefer". Stands or blinds, bow or bow gun, rifle or shotgun, shotgun or pistol, high or low, what ever.

What is good for hunting would be for people to decide DO THEY WANT TO HUNT OR NOT. Period. Do you WANT to hunt.

After that all the rest is easy. You read the rules, learn the rules, then follow the rules for hunting what you want to hunt where you want to hunt it. No tears in hunting, when you quit crying you are half way there.

Now just learn to hunt the animal and it pretty quickly is obvious what tools you need to best HUNT this animal what ever it is.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I'm a still hunter.

If I find a spot that looks promising I'll sit for a while.........................
We call the posting. Still hunting is walking in the woods and stalking.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Spike

I prefer a ground blind cause it's a pain in the ass to get my wheelchair up a tree.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to be elevated when ever possible. Tree stand or elevated box blinds are good. I also hunt from pop up blinds when there isn't a good place to put up a tree stand.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Spike

I have always been a ground-hunter and use the terrain/vegetation to blend in, I agree you would 'see' more deer from a tree stand but that's only part of the equation. I would love to utilize tree stands more in my setup, maybe next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.