Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands? >

Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Neither. I either still hunt or spot and stalk. While I have nothing against stand hunting I have always kind of considered it ambushing and not hunting. Personal opinion mind you. Besides I'm one of those people that can't sit still all day. I'm happier on my feet roaming the woods and I've been very successful at it. Last year I shot my 88th and 89th deer and I got them by spot and stalk.

Last edited by flags; 07-06-2016 at 06:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2016, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Neither. I either still hunt or spot and stalk.
Thank God! Someone still hunts the way they did it when men were men.

I hunt either from behind natural cover or on my feet. I have one tree stand that I've never set up.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

actually early man learned to work together and drove deer into closed areas or over cliffs etc even into water where they could be killed easier did you ever try to spear a deer with a pointed stick ? or a stick with a string made from vines yes that's what I thought pretty tough I think ?
Old 07-06-2016, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Where I live, Florida, during archery season a climber because it is to thinck. You can see about 5-10 yards and that is about it unless you get 30 feet up. Once the rut hits it is 50/50 because a lot of the places I shoot buck, there is not a place to climb,
Old 07-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I prefer to still hunt during gun season. With archery it just depends on where I am, still hunt, ground blinds, tree stands.. I think having options is a good thing if you're able to. And choose based on all of the current conditions.
-Jake
Old 07-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn

I hunt either from behind natural cover or on my feet. I have one tree stand that I've never set up.
Come down to Florida and try hunting on the ground or spot and stalking. When men were men a lot of the Indians around here ambushed and even hunted from the trees. Hunting on the ground you can see about as far as you can pee haha unless you are on a road, clear cut, cut timber, gas line, or power line. There is a place for everything east especially south east stand hunting, plains either or, Rockies spot and stalk but my grandfather does stand hunt elk every year and has shot 14 in the last 15 years.. Same stand in Colorado... So the real winner is the hunter that is versatile enough that can spot and stalk or still hunt. Even though spot and stalk is more fun

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 07-06-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn

I hunted this way for my first 25 years, until I lost all private hunting spots.(I miss it) I have only done this sporadically in the past 17 yrs. due to being on public land, respect for other hunters and keeping myself safe from careless sportsman. Things are finally looking up again. I have 2 private properties to hunt, I have the funds again and now we have Sundays in VA. It will great to enjoy this pastime again.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC
Come down to Florida and try hunting on the ground or spot and stalking.
Been there, done that, killed deer doing it.

I spent 4 years stationed in Pensacola and I hunted the Perdidio River Wildlife Management Area. This river bottom is very thick and has a lot of swampy areas. I usually took 2 bucks a year off of it and I always got them by still hunting. So don't be so quick to dismiss it. Both these bucks were taken in FL and both on the ground.

Try hunting on the ground. You may find you like it and that you're successful doing it.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Spike

I like ground blinds. Have cover from the rain and I feel like helps with scent control. Not a lot of public land here in south Alabama so usually hunt private land with significant distance from neighbors so still conscious of other houses for safety reasons but not like have to be up higher shooting down because there are so many people etc.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy hunting from a tree stand more, as they seem to allow me to see more things,
hunting from ground blinds I some what feel like I am cheating, sure can be a lot more comfortable however!
I spent many many yrs stalking game from deer to ??
and was rather successful at it

but I just don't enjoy that type of hunting much now, as in life, we change as health issue's and age effects things
as long as you enjoy it, and its legal, I say, have at it, no right or wrong way to hunt if its legal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.