HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   killing a deer every year 2 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/40686-killing-deer-every-year-2-a.html)

deerhunter1224 10-21-2003 11:35 AM

killing a deer every year 2

Reading the post I made on " killing a deer every year" wow how do you guys get so many deer. Like I said the last time I killed a deer was 2 years ago. Do you hunt 24/7. I am starting to think I am doing something wrong. I live in northern Indiana there are highly number of deer here. I try and be scent free as possible. I have seen about 10 or so deer from my stand so far some I pass up others to far away. Tell me how you bag so many deer in one year.

wimp 10-21-2003 12:12 PM

RE: killing a deer every year 2

1. You need a good deer population.
2. You need to put time in the woods
3. You can' t screw up the opportunities that you do get.
4. You need to hunt smart and efficient.

And even if you do all that, you still have good years and bad years.

Gryan 10-21-2003 12:42 PM

Wimp, I can' t say it any better than that. Have to make the best of all that comes your way.

Greg

JZarr 10-21-2003 01:17 PM

I think it' s a case of whether or not you' re selective on the deer you shoot and the shots you take at them. If you shot every deer that walked within bow range, and some that didn' t, you could probably shoot 10 deer a year without a problem.

But what' s the point of that? Sure, you might be able to do it and to use all 10 deer but is it really necessary? The most deer I' ve ever shot in one year was 3. First a doe for meat, then a nice 9 point with my bow, then a 150 class 9 point with a shotgun. Of all the meat I got out of those deer, I couldn' t have eaten it all if I had wanted to. I ended up giving a lot of it to friends, family members, and co workers. Which I didn' t have a problem with.

In my opinion, shooting 10 deer a year is just ridiculous. Okay, you might give a couple to friends or family or food banks, but after awhile it seems to me like people are killing these deer just for the sake of killing them and to be able to tell their friends " Yep, I shot 15 deer last year. I' m the best hunter in the world."

For what it' s worth - the few people I know who admit to shooting that many deer a year, also admit to losing just as many due to sub-standard shots. I' m sure it' s not true for everyone, but unfortunately for a lot of people it is.

Just my 2 cents. I' m sure someone is going to disagree. Someone always does. [8D]

Solax 10-21-2003 02:18 PM

Wimp said a mouthful. Personally my luck changed when I did a few small things that I' ve read EVERYWHERE.

-Scout and put up stands in late winter after the season
-Glass fields in the late summer (got a shot at a NICE buck this year just because of this one)
-Get to know your land, scout, walk around, look for funnels, trails, droppings, etc.

4. You need to hunt smart and efficient.
this one makes a lot of sense. Expect to see/hear deer everytime you go out (or about 80% of the time). If you' re not you' re doing something wrong.

-Evaluate your stands. I had a stand that I hunted heavily for two years. It was alright but not as good as the sign told me it should have been. Turns out it was in a bowl and the wind was swirling around in there so I got busted a lot. So I sit at the top of the hill one night, not hunting just watching and see a ton of deer go through that area. Make sure your stand is in the right place.

I' m rambling, I' m done.

CarolinaDeerHunter 10-21-2003 02:50 PM

I shoot a good many deer each year but the majority of what I shoot is does since I trophy manage my land and try to keep the buck to doe ratio in line. I have killed 11 so far this year I think. I also love to take kids and people who just want to get their first deer (buck or doe) and let them do the majority of my doe killing for me. I have got 2 nice bucks this year so far. There is one buck that I will take this year and have been watching him for 5 years. After him, I doubt I will take another buck. I have met a good friend off this board and he now hunts with me when he can and he has watched me on more than one occasion pass up spikes, 6 points and small 8 points. It drives him nuts but he can also understand why I do this as he has yet to go with me and not see bucks. It also drives him nuts to see the bucks and pass them up but he is respecting my wish. I told him that the next time he goes, he can shoot what he wants. I am waiting to see what happens and I really hopes he takes me up on it. (I am sure he will.) Deerhunter, it sounds like you are being selective too if you have seen about 10 and passed some up. Do you just not want or cant shoot does or are you going for large bucks only? Good Luck!! -- CDH

GBhunter 10-21-2003 03:01 PM

this one makes a lot of sense. Expect to see/hear deer everytime you go out (or about 80% of the time). If you' re not you' re doing something wrong.
I was taught that no matter where you look at any time of the day and no matter what the conditions, you could see a deer, and as soon as you forget that, you' ll be caught off guard by the big granddaddy of all deer that everyone is always talking about.

mauser06 10-21-2003 03:11 PM

hours upon hours upon hours of scouting...if im off im scouting or hunting or shooting or its terrible outside....and if im not deer hunting im hunting something else im still scouting for deer......you need a FEW good spots...always need back ups ect....never know when someones going to barge in on you, winds bad ect ect....you need patience...if your not hunting your not going to kill a deer..unless maybe your driving....and you need time to hunt....you cant be a " weekend warrior" as i call them...hunting opening day and maybe weekends...its a good time to hunt but the deer are under alot of pressure and that can hurt or help you depending on how you hunt.....my favorite way to hunt is let all the guys moving on trails and coming in from the road to push them right to my bottle neck in a thicket....we put away.....5 deer in 2 years from the same spot between me and my dad.....it takes expirience to find a spot like that though..my dad has all that....im learning....but we werent selective...4 out of 5 of those deer were doe....but we like venision and we put it away when we want it.....this year we both agreed to try for a nice rack....if it happens or not we will see.......good luck.....its possible......ps....we dont take any scent precautions except trying to play the wind...but if the wind isnt perfect we still hunt....we try to put our stands where hte dominant wind is in our face....but if it changes a bit a day we hunt we dont bellyach over it.....we shift a bit or stay put....when deer are running for their life they dont have time to wind you.....

stubblejumper 10-21-2003 08:49 PM

You have to live in a location where the legal limit is several deer per year and not be extremely fussy about the deer that you harvest.Although many people kill several deer a year few kill several large trophies every year.

02bhntn 10-22-2003 04:14 AM

JZarr,

As a matter of fact it is by direction of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries That I harvest so many animals. We are managinge 800 cares for trophy animals and the Buck to Doe ration is way out of whack. We have been given many many DMAP tags to harvest the does to get the ration down. I have passed up approx 20 different bucks so far this year because we have a rule of 6 points or bigger and they must be ear width. I will not pass up any does that present a shot.

the few people I know who admit to shooting that many deer a year, also admit to losing just as many due to sub-standard shots.
I do not take questionable shots and since I have been hunting I have only lost a grand total of 3 deer. So if you average it out with an average of 9 per year for 18 years. I lose about .0185 of the deer I shoot.

In my opinion, shooting 10 deer a year is just ridiculous.
And you certainly entitled to your opinion. But to cast aspersions on others that have the abiity and the need to harvest that many is not wise. You can' t judge hunters in that manner.

You limit youself to the ammount that you feel YOU need and the rest of us will do the same.