Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Purina Deer Chow

Old 10-17-2003, 09:09 PM

Default Purina Deer Chow

Just put out 2 feeds filled with Purina Deer Chow. Never tried it or heard anything about it. If anyone has some info I would appreciate it. thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 09:54 PM

Default RE: Purina Deer Chow

Fed it to my dog once and he grew massive horns! Seriously, it is supposed to have ingredients in it that help produce a nice rack and other ingredients that help make a healthy and happy deer. [&:]
Old 10-18-2003, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it is what they feed deer that are raised in captivity rather than something for a deer feeder in the wild . We have bought different products and a lot of them the deer in the wild won' t touch them. I have a friend that bought a deer feed block and rather than try it first to see if they would eat it ,he bought a half ton of it and the deer won' t touch it .
Old 10-18-2003, 09:11 AM

Some of the guys on my lease feed it and they say the deer seem to like it and when it rains it makes its own gravy.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

It molds real quick if it gets wet
Old 10-18-2003, 05:26 PM

I have found that the best way to use a peletized deer feed (to prevent molding)is to build a covered feeding trough. Make the roof high enough above the food to allow bucks with big racks to get to the food. The amount of food other critters eat is so little it doesn' t matter just make it high enough so pigs have trouble getting to it. As for what feed is good and what is bad. I look for a feed that has at least 15% protien. The most important time of the year to put feed out is Spring and Summer. The high protien makes a big difference. I have looked at the Purina and it has minerals that the cattle feed that I have been using does not. Other that that it is about the same thing. I put out about 2.5 tons a year on 3000 acres. The average B&C score of the bucks taken has increased 20pts in the last 2 years. I know I am long winded but I hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:29 AM

I think it sucks. I have gone through atleast 500 lbs. of it and the deer won' t eat it. I tried it plane, with mineral supplement in it, with corn mixed in, and even with mollasess. The deer just won' t eat the stuff around here.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:01 AM

The deer in north/central WI love it.They eat it before they eat the corn.I buy the water proof so it dont break up in the rain/snow.I have not tested it in rain/snow because it is gone to fast.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:47 PM

i also hunt in northern wisconsin and we have tried using deer blocks, but when it rains they get soggy and fall apart. the group i hunt with uses apples and some corn. we can get fallen apples from an orchard for $1 per 50 lb bag. the deer just eat them right up. most of the time when we put out a bag it is gone by the next mornin

Where do u hunt hondaman? i hunt north of Antigo near elcho