HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Where in the US can I go hunting deer in the spring? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/406125-where-us-can-i-go-hunting-deer-spring.html)

Johana86 04-25-2016 01:29 AM

Where in the US can I go hunting deer in the spring?

Hi everybody. Please suggest me one or nowhere to hunt deer in the spring.

flags 04-25-2016 03:45 AM

You can hunt the exotics like axis and sika year round in TX and probably some other states. But you won't hunt native deer such as whitetails, mulies or blacktails in the spring anywhere in the USA that I'm aware of.

Bocajnala 04-25-2016 08:06 PM

Basically just crop damage permits if the state allows it.
-Jake

deerdust 05-03-2016 06:15 AM

As Bocajnala said, many states will give landowners depredation permits to reduce the deer population on their land and the potential for crop damage. These are most often gender specific (doe), but may vary by state. Often the landowner can designate an individual that will do the harvesting for them.

GTOHunter 05-03-2016 06:41 PM

The earliest We can Bow Hunt Deer here in Missouri is Sept. 15,there may be a few other States that might be Deer Hunting before us like Tennessee,Kentucky or Arkansas?

flags 05-04-2016 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by GTOHunter (Post 4257209)
The earliest We can Bow Hunt Deer here in Missouri is Sept. 15,there may be a few other States that might be Deer Hunting before us like Tennessee,Kentucky or Arkansas?

You can bow hunt blacktails in CA in either late July or early Aug but it is miserable. i did that a couple of times. Temps over 100, lots of rattlesnakes, dusty and hard to take care of the game in the field. I took a blacktail buck when it was 105 and nearly lost the meat and I'm pretty good at carcass care. Shot him more than 3 miles from the trailhead and packed him out boned. When I put the meat in the cooler it was hot to the touch. Ended up being fine but I think another hr or 2 would have spoiled it. Took me 3 days to recover from that packout. I was severely dehydrated! Those are the earliest deer seasons I know of.

If I really wanted a deer in the summer I'd go to TX and shoot an Axis.

Oldtimr 05-04-2016 04:30 AM

Johana, the reason you will not find a regular hunting season in the spring is because the doe are pregnant, they will begin dropping fawns this month in PA, and the buck are just beginning to grow their antlers. PA issues permits to landowners having crop damage that allows them to give a limited number of sub permits to hunters to take doe in the spring. Many of those hunters I have spoken to that have done that say they will not do it again because when they field dressed their doe they found all but full grown fawns inside and it really turned them off.

olsaltydog 05-04-2016 05:04 AM

Pretty much well covered. Unless exotics (mentioned above) are off the menu most spring seasons focus on turkeys and hogs in many areas and yotes year round. Also mentioned are the crop damage tags but check the local laws. My coworker (peanut farmer) has depredation permits but I am either not sure about the law or he is not as he said we could not harvest the deer, only kill and dispose of them which seems pointless for my effort.

w123t 05-04-2016 03:37 PM

Forget the deer in the spring take that bow out for Turkeys.
If you can get a Turkey in the spring , deer in the fall should be no problem.

GTOHunter 05-11-2016 05:34 PM

Do like I do......take up Coyote/Predator Hunting in the Off-Season,for every Coyote You kill Your saving a Fawn/Deer's Life! :barmy: