Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Where in the US can I go hunting deer in the spring? >

Where in the US can I go hunting deer in the spring?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where in the US can I go hunting deer in the spring?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sbyrd85
Click on the link below to find plenty of great exotics to hunt in Texas year round plus they have wildlife management tags for Whitetail which extends the season

http://www.oxhuntingranch.com/
gotta have some deep pockets to hunt there....
-Jake
Old 05-12-2016, 04:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
gotta have some deep pockets to hunt there....
-Jake
Not necessarily. If you want trophies, those can get pricy. But right now there are a lot of guys offering summer hunts for axis, fallow and blackbuck does for a pretty reasonable amount. I know of one guy that will let you take 2 axis does for $400 and they are probably the best eating deer around and you can shoot as many hogs as you want.

TX hunting is different but that doesn't always mean it is drastically more expensive. Compare the price of those 2 axis does to my coming to PA and shooting a couple of whitetails if I could even get the tags. I've hunted Potter County twice and both times the state of PA declined to let me have a doe tag.

And in TX, you can hunt year round. The OP is asking about hunting deer in the summer and you can do that in TX but you can't do it in PA without special damage tags can you?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
Not necessarily. If you want trophies, those can get pricy. But right now there are a lot of guys offering summer hunts for axis, fallow and blackbuck does for a pretty reasonable amount. I know of one guy that will let you take 2 axis does for $400 and they are probably the best eating deer around and you can shoot as many hogs as you want.

TX hunting is different but that doesn't always mean it is drastically more expensive. Compare the price of those 2 axis does to my coming to PA and shooting a couple of whitetails if I could even get the tags. I've hunted Potter County twice and both times the state of PA declined to let me have a doe tag.

And in TX, you can hunt year round. The OP is asking about hunting deer in the summer and you can do that in TX but you can't do it in PA without special damage tags can you?
Flags, did you look at the link posted?? I'd call $1,000 for 8 hour of hog hunting "deep pockets"....

Axis: $3,500-$4,500

Blackbuck: $3,000-$4,000

Fallow: $5,250-$6,250

Bongo $30,000

I was just speaking to that specific ranch, not texas hunts in general. They also guarantee 100% success if that tells ya anything. To me, those prices are pretty steep. But I'm just your average guy with a family and regular job. I gotta plan all year to make sure I have enough $$$ to hunt Ohio and PA, so "hunts" like that are out of the question for me. That ranch has a private air strip(maybe allot of them do?), found that to be interesting.

In PA you are correct. Damage permits are issued early Feb and run through Sep.... With a break in May and June I believe for them to drop fawns. Pa would cost you $101 for a NR Permit, and $26 for NR Antlerless. But, as you said, Antlerless is a draw by management unit and some have plenty of tags, some sell out quick.
-Jake
Old 05-13-2016, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Johana, the reason you will not find a regular hunting season in the spring is because the doe are pregnant, they will begin dropping fawns this month in PA, and the buck are just beginning to grow their antlers. PA issues permits to landowners having crop damage that allows them to give a limited number of sub permits to hunters to take doe in the spring. Many of those hunters I have spoken to that have done that say they will not do it again because when they field dressed their doe they found all but full grown fawns inside and it really turned them off.
can you elaborate more on this, as I think this is wrong, or is wrong now
I farm and know many other farmers
the PS game wardens I deal with will NOT allow anyone BUT The actual farmer WORKING the lands where the crop damaged deer can be shot for crop damage, and
the ONLY way a permit is issue'd with hinters being able to use, would be come fall, NOT spring time

I rent land off a old retired farmer and work his fields there, and I couldn;t even LEGALLY let him shoot a few deer for crop damage for me, when I am NOT there
as again was told ONLY the farmer working the land can do that, as ONLY he suffers the loss of income and suffers the crop damage
a if the land owner isn't farming it, he cannot !
so, NO way a hunter can!, off crop damage permits

they will issue extra doe permits for hunters to use SOME times, based on deer numbers and complaints
and the deal with them is, of MY Understanding
the private lands can be used by selective hunters based on getting permission from land owner/farmers

I haven't shot crop damage deer in a few yrs, but that was always what I was told last time I tried to get help from deer damage

and sorry for getting off topic here!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Actually in Virginia in designated areas you can archery hunt for does until the end of April. It is under the Urban Archery seasons. Look in the regulations,

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/urban-archery/
Old 05-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

mrbb, no they are not wrong there is a permit issued by the commission to the farmer or orchard owners that allows them to give a sub permit to qualified hunters to take a limited number of deer during the closed season.

§ 147.553. Permit.

The deer control permit authorizes the permittee to enlist the aid of a limited number of subpermits. The maximum number of subpermits issued will be no more than one for every 5 acres of land that is under cultivation unless the wildlife conservation officer recommends an increase in the number due to warranted circumstances.

(1) Validity. The permit is valid from February 1 to September 28 each calendar year, excluding Sundays, during the hours of dawn to dusk only.

(2) Exceptions. The permit is not valid from May 16 to June 30 during peak fawning season.

(3) Posting. Except in wildlife management units 5C and 5D, deer control permit signs provided by the Commission shall be conspicuously posted on the boundary of and along all public roadways traversing the property by the landowner/cooperator on all contiguous acres of the farm under agreement. Posting shall be completed prior to February 1.

(4) Fee for permit. There is no fee for the issuance of the deer control permit.
Authority

§ 147.553. Permit.

The deer control permit authorizes the permittee to enlist the aid of a limited number of subpermits. The maximum number of subpermits issued will be no more than one for every 5 acres of land that is under cultivation unless the wildlife conservation officer recommends an increase in the number due to warranted circumstances.

(1) Validity. The permit is valid from February 1 to September 28 each calendar year, excluding Sundays, during the hours of dawn to dusk only.

(2) Exceptions. The permit is not valid from May 16 to June 30 during peak fawning season.

(3) Posting. Except in wildlife management units 5C and 5D, deer control permit signs provided by the Commission shall be conspicuously posted on the boundary of and along all public roadways traversing the property by the landowner/cooperator on all contiguous acres of the farm under agreement. Posting shall be completed prior to February 1.

(4) Fee for permit. There is no fee for the issuance of the deer control permit.

§ 147.554. Subpermit.

The permittee may acquire from the Commission subpermits, not to exceed the number provided for in § 147.553 (relating to permit) to be issued to qualified individuals of the permittee’s choosing for the purpose of removing deer from the permittee’s property by shooting. There is no fee charged for the subpermit. Qualifications are as follows:

(1) A subpermit will only be issued to residents of this Commonwealth who possess a valid resident hunting license or qualify for license and fee exemptions under section 2706 of the act (relating to resident license and fee exemptions).

(2) A person issued a subpermit will be required to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined so it is visible in a 360° arc when involved in taking deer under this subchapter.

(3) A permittee may not issue more than one subpermit to a person to take deer on the permittee’s land enrolled in the Agricultural Deer Control Program, except in wildlife management units 5C and 5D, where a permittee may not issue more than two subpermits to a person.

(4) Each deer taken under the permit shall be tagged with a tag provided by the Commission.

(5) Each person issued a subpermit shall report each deer taken to the permittee.

(6) Deer taken under the permit may be utilized by the person with the subpermit or donated to a valid food bank.

(7) Unused subpermits shall be returned to the district wildlife conservation officer within 5 days of the expiration of the permit.

§ 147.555. Antlerless deer only.

Only antlerless deer may be taken under this subchapter unless otherwise authorized by the Director. For the purposes of enforcing this chapter, the term ‘‘antlerless deer’’ has the meaning as defined in § 139.2 (relating to definitions).

§ 147.557. Reporting of deer taken.

The permittee shall report, on a form provided by the Commission, the number of deer killed and other information the Commission deems necessary. The completed report shall be submitted to the district wildlife conservation officer within 5 days after the end of each month while the permit is valid. If no deer are killed, a negative report shall be submitted.

§ 147.558. Tagging of deer taken.

Deer taken under the authority of the permit shall immediately be tagged with a tag provided by the Commission. The tag shall be attached to the head of the deer and may not be removed. Unused tags shall be returned to the district wildlife conservation officer within 5 days of the expiration of the permit.

The WCO was correct, he could not allow the landowner to kill deer on the property you lease from him because it is you who has the monetary interest in the crop, not the land owner. You will notice, the sub permits are only given to residents of the state, this is not meant as a hunting season, it is a permit to remove deer causing damage.

There is also another permit a farmer may get that allows designated people to kill for damage for the farmer day or night. However, it does not allow them to keep the deer.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Oldtimr, and I am aware of the later permit deal

My local wardens are not always the best on info sadly
two yrs ago I had a guy trespass and shoot a deer and leave it lay in my field, guy was parked next to my driveway local warden just drove by when I was pulling in and I called him and he didn;t even want to come and look, told me to let the deer rot where it was
after Begging him to come get it, I asked him to talk to the hunter STILL at his truck, (bow, deer had an arrow still in it)
to ask if he had permission or left a dead deer on my property
and his answer to me was
HE cannot go and ask a hunter if he has permission, or do anything about a hunter trespassing and killing a deer without permission
which I said to me sounded like exactly what his job duties are when a deer is dead and NO one is taking it and the hunter is still there to be asked what happened!
he flat out refused, told me how he was a warden for 20 plus yrs and he cannot talk to hunters and ask them things like this??
he had a deputy with him as well, who backed up his line of crap as far as I was concerned.
and the two also didn't want to remove the dead deer for me, kept trying to tell me to let it rot where it was?
they were able to drive up to deer too, and had a deer carrier on the back
after about an hr of voicing me NOT wanting a dead buck on my land in deer season
and wanton waste of a game animal(which I am also told is NOT a game law in PA by them)
this is one of a bunch of examples of my experience with local wardens here, and sadly in the state of pa
a shame, as I hunt a lot of states and never had a single poor experience with a game warden in any state but PA
and again sorry about off OP's tread subject!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Flags, did you look at the link posted?? I'd call $1,000 for 8 hour of hog hunting "deep pockets"....
Do you think that single link quotes the prices for the entire state of TX? I'm merely pointing out that you can get into some very reasonable priced hunts in TX and that guy that is pushing that ranch (every post he has links to it) isn't indicative of what can be had.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

mrbb, a PA WCO cannot enforce trespass unless the trespasser has violated another Game law while trespassing. It would serve little purpose for him to ask the shooter if he had permission to hunt on your property since there was nothing he could do to the person for trespassing. As far as making the guy retrieve the deer goes, there is a wanton waste law that requires hunters to make a reasonable effort to retrieve what they shoot, however the officer could not order him to violate the law by trespassing in order to retrieve the deer from land the hunter had no permission to be on. It was a catch 22 situation. The blame lies with the law, not the officer. I don't know how the back and forth conversation between you and the officers went, I only know what you said here I don't know the officer's actual words but it sounds like the officer told you the truth. Any time you believe an officer is wrong you may call the officer's supervisor at the regional office in charge of your county.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Funny how different F&W laws are from state to state. Here in VT the warden would have been all over that one and focused on the trespassing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.