Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hogs are killing deer - how bad will it get? >

Hogs are killing deer - how bad will it get?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hogs are killing deer - how bad will it get?

Old 04-01-2016, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
If there's that big of a population maybe public land hunting would work ? I would call the game and fish where you want to go hunt them I'm sure they will put you onto some public land or even private landowner spots it's worked very well for me with deer hunting. Just a thought.in a way I wish we had a hog problem here in az but after seeing this post I'm glad we don't !
That's the new plan. Hopefully for next spring. I've started researching some public land options and such. By reading forums, and reading the land descriptions on state's websites.. Allot of them tell you what species can be found and such
-Jake
Old 04-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
That's the new plan. Hopefully for next spring. I've started researching some public land options and such. By reading forums, and reading the land descriptions on state's websites.. Allot of them tell you what species can be found and such
-Jake
Check out FL. Hogs exist in every county in FL and are classified as a varmint. On private land they can be taken year round by any method and many landowners, especially orange growers, hate them and it isn't too hard to get permission to go after them. FL also has millions of acres of public land to hunt. Some of them have seasons on hogs but some don't. I'd check the WMA's for FL and see where you could go.

Additionally here in TX there are a lot of landowners that want the things shot. Many of them are willing to let you at them for free. If you want to check into that, contact the Agriculture Dept and they often know farmers that have hog issues. Some people have even created businesses to remove hogs by shooting or trapping.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
-Jake
Can't remember if your in Florida or would go there but I used to hog hunt on the sebring bombing range back in the 80's not sure if that's a option ?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Check out FL. Hogs exist in every county in FL and are classified as a varmint. On private land they can be taken year round by any method and many landowners, especially orange growers, hate them and it isn't too hard to get permission to go after them. FL also has millions of acres of public land to hunt. Some of them have seasons on hogs but some don't. I'd check the WMA's for FL and see where you could go.

Additionally here in TX there are a lot of landowners that want the things shot. Many of them are willing to let you at them for free. If you want to check into that, contact the Agriculture Dept and they often know farmers that have hog issues. Some people have even created businesses to remove hogs by shooting or trapping.
Flags, you would be surprised at just how many of those "landowners that want them shot" want to charge you to come do THEM the favor in Texas. I hunt there yearly for hogs. Have for quite a few years now. But my guys and I are pretty much a professional team. We just don't charge for the service. Most of those landowners charge to weed out the idiots that would possibly do more harm on the property than the hogs do. I can see their point to an extent but a simple waver signing excluding them from any suit because some moron hurt himself on their property is all that's really needed.

Your suggestion for Florida is spot on. I wish I could find a good orange grove that would allow a hunt. I have heard that hogs feeding on oranges a lot are quite tasty. Just never had the opportunity to hunt any groves. But there are TONS of public land all over Florida to hog hunt. You are dead on correct about that. We usually do the Florida hunts around the first week of May before it gets God awful hot and humid.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Snakes and spiders..........nope.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Flags, you would be surprised at just how many of those "landowners that want them shot" want to charge you to come do THEM the favor in Texas.
No I wouldn't, I live in TX. But there are a lot of landowners that just want to get rid of them. I have standing offers from 2 different ranches to come hunt hogs anytime I want to. But I only hunt for meat and right now I don't have freezer space for the sausage I would make out of one or two of them. But in a few months, POW!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do like I do buddy, donate to hunters feeding the hungry program!!! We donate upwards of 80% of our hog kills to that program. That's partly why we get permission a lot easier than most folks. That way, you get some stress relief out there hunting, practice shooting, running shot practice (we all need that ), and your not only helping the farmer but also poor folks that can't afford meat. Everybody wins, HOGS LOSE!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
No I wouldn't, I live in TX. But there are a lot of landowners that just want to get rid of them. I have standing offers from 2 different ranches to come hunt hogs anytime I want to. But I only hunt for meat and right now I don't have freezer space for the sausage I would make out of one or two of them. But in a few months, POW!
And if I lived there I probably would too.. Little different when you're just calling farms/ making craigslist adds. I'm not complaining, I understand people don't want strangers on their land. And getting a call of "Hey I'm from PA. Can I drive 1,200 miles to come down and shoot your pigs" is a little strange.... I'm planning on trying some public ground next spring hopefully.
-Jake