Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Oil pipeline and deer hunting

Old 03-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Spike

Default Oil pipeline and deer hunting

Hey everyone, I have a somewhat odd question. I'm looking at some hunting land in central wisconsin. An adjacent 40 acre parcel to that property is owned by the enbridge energy company who have an oil pipeline that runs through along wits a pumping station. My question is does anyone have experience hunting near this type of thing or any thoughts on the subject? Thanks!

Last edited by tommyyboyy05; 03-12-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it's been there for any decent length of time and there aren't people crawling all over the place I wouldn't worry about it. I've hunted mule deer out in the northern part of NM in 2b a couple times and there are a ton of wells and compressor stations, such that the deer actually gravitate to some of them where there is better food since the areas are more open where sun can hit. One huge compressor station that was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think had deer all over the place right up to the fence protecting the equipment! That really surprised us because mule deer are much less tolerant of human presence than whitetails that can literally live in people's back yards.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-12-2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same in PA, the cleared areas create edge and food plots and deer will use them. There usually isn't regular employee activity at a well site site once the construction is done and wildlife gets use to any noise the pump station may put out in a short while and it becomes normal to them. That pipeline could be a benefit to you.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:15 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I hunted smack in the center of Gas pipelines in the Upper Peninsula Michigan for years. Always worked for us.

JW
Old 03-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Won't be a problem. Try to use it to your advantage if possible. The deer will probably feed in the cleared area, or on the edge. Clear cuts on pipelines, or powerlines are areas I hunt regularly. Any cut, edge, or things like that can be used to your advantage once you learn how the deer use it.
-Jake
Old 03-13-2016, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Same thing as powerlines and gas lines down here in the South and work great down here where I hunt but only one time of year and that is the rut. Due to where I hunt the pressure being so high the bucks won't come out of the creek beds and gulberries until the rut kicks off. Be ready to shoot 300+ yards if you have shots that far. I am getting one of these this year just for that reason so I can shoot 300 + yards if need be.
Attached Thumbnails Oil pipeline and deer hunting-capture.jpg  

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 03-13-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Tommy Boy I live in central wi actually not far from pipe line-- deer use it for browsing a lot-- some guys actually plant small food plots on pipeline although they may have competition because it is not private----I would suggest you go for it H H
Old 03-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
Tommy Boy I live in central wi actually not far from pipe line-- deer use it for browsing a lot-- some guys actually plant small food plots on pipeline although they may have competition because it is not private----I would suggest you go for it H H
Wait to the 80 acres owned by the enbridge energy company that have the pump station on it is open to the public?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tommyyboyy05
Wait to the 80 acres owned by the enbridge energy company that have the pump station on it is open to the public?
Nobody has made such a statement or even intimated that! We're all saying that pump station could be very beneficial to you if you buy the private land you're thinking about.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Spike

Well the guy said it is not private so you will have competition. That's why Im asking if the pipeline land owned by the company is open to the public.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.