Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer herd condition.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Deer herd condition.

Deer are doing very well in my neck of the woods this year as we have not had much snow. they are working he old corn fields in the evenings despite them having been dug up pretty good.
One hill side hay field down the road you can drive by about any time of the day and count 30 to 40 deer feeding or just laying on the hill side south east facing.

Even my friends in areas with no wolves yet in the UP say the heard is fairing well due to the mild winter.

Al
Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 AM
Banned

same goes here in idaho. deer are looking good. elk on the other hand ,in some areas are dropping like flies. between the tough winter and wolf harrasment
Old 03-07-2016, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

The deer herd looks to be doing great this year with hardly any snow on the ground and mostly mild temps this winter. It is nice for them to have a boost after last year's winter up here. Hopefully we can get a couple of more winters like this one and our deer will be rebounding every where..
Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer roaming about the area where I hunt are on the food plots a lot right now .... practically 100% nocturnal. The 3 cameras I have in the woods along trails have been more or less empty of photos since early February. From the looks of the deer that have been caught on the field cameras, the deer look slick and fat. A few bucks still sporting antlers. Not unusual here.

We have no winters here even close to what goes on up north, but we can experience dramatic reduction in palatable browse if we have had a cold, frost filled winter. We did not this year. It was warm and exceptionally wet. Browse stayed lush and thick. Lots of good stuff to munch on.

And we have no serious predation other than coyotes killing the occasional fawn. Unfortunately, coyotes are increasing in numbers. We have started trapping them. So far have caught only one. But that is one less! My biggest fear is feral hogs moving in. Knock on wood, so far we have seen no sign of hogs at all.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am seeing a herd of over 30 in a field near my house on a regular basis. They look in good shape. We only had one deep snow of about 24 inches but it didn't last long on the ground.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

The winter severity index is the best it has been in many years. Should be a good fawning season.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Deer here are now starting to look pretty raggedy. They are starting to shed 3 days in a row of 70F and more plus several days in the mid to uppers 60F range and a cold front went thru last evening but is 56F still at 6:30AM this morning.
Have seen two snakes in the trails scared a great blue heron out of the creek Tuesday and saw a Kil deer yesterday.

Al
Old 03-10-2016, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

The deer here in east TX are roaming all over the place. Saw a group with 15 women and children walking along feeding on browse just last night. They were strung out all along a small ridge and didn't have a care in the world. I'm looking at a piece of ground less than a half mile from there so I took that as a good sign. That many does in one place, most of them with yearling at their heels means there are bucks around as well.