Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Any hunting stories from your parents or grandparents? >

Any hunting stories from your parents or grandparents?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any hunting stories from your parents or grandparents?

Old 10-19-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Any hunting stories from your parents or grandparents?

my dad has told me a story of his friend Carl, one of the best sheepshead players in Wisconsin, he shot a deer while it was running and hit it in the front left and back right legs at the knee. After searching for 4 hours or so, they finally found the deer lying under a pine tree.

Old 10-19-2003, 09:24 PM

Default RE: Any hunting stories from your parents or grandparents?

I was told a story by my grandmother about a buck her father shot. Now, this happened in northern Maine sometime in the late 1800' s to early 1900' s (the exact year I do not know).

My great-grandfather was staying at a lumber camp while working on a log drive. Back then it was common practice to shoot deer for camp meat, and not much value was placed on big antlers (ya can' t eat the horns ya know!). Well one day he saw a huge buck not far from camp, and shot it. The deer was so big that it had to be quartered just to get it out of the woods and into the canoes. The rack was so impressive, that they did try to bring the head and rack out of the woods, but the size made it too difficult, and the head was left in the crotch of a tree. He even went back later to retrieve it, but could not find it again. He assumed a bear had gotten to it before him. The rack obviously made a huge impression on him, even though " horns" were normally discarded in those days.

The rack supposedly had an enormous spread, with 11 long, perfect points to each side! He was not a man that was ever known to exaggerate, and this is the story as he told it. I can only imagine what that buck may have looked like and what it would be like to hold that rack in my hands......
Old 10-20-2003, 08:19 PM

It was split hoofs great grandfather too you know.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:06 AM

Back in the 50' s my Granddad used to travel from Ohio to PA for deer hunting. One year, first day of season (doe only day) he spotted several does feeding together. After watching them for some time, Gramps chose the largest doe and shot her. When getting to the deer, it turned out to be a nice 8 point buck. He didn' t know what to do, he was very honest and it bothered him. He gutted and cared for the carcas and covered it with brush and his jacket to keep the critters off of it. He went to eat lunch and met a man. After talking to this man for a couple of hours, he felt that he could trust him with his " doe" story. The man assured him everything would work out alright and together they formed a plan of what to do.
Next day they both went to the deer,(the following day was buck season) and fired a shot, brushed the frost off of the deer and dragged it out. Grandpa brought that deer home tied to the front fender of his car.
Everything did turn out fine.
HOWEVER, the following year Gramps met up with the very same man to hunt with him. After hunting together for a few days, the man showed Gramps his credentials, he was a game warden with the state of Pennsylvania. He told Gramps that it was an honest mistake.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:23 PM

bummer but at least the game warden was understanding about it, they usually are
Old 10-21-2003, 02:10 PM

i was thinking of becoming a game warden for a career and if i do become one, i want to be exactly like the one u described.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:33 PM

i am 14 and was looking at the career of a game warden, but then i found out they are busy during deer season and other key times of the year and that set me off.
now im looking to become a forester or a logger
Old 10-21-2003, 04:29 PM

haha weird GB all three of those jobs have crossed my mind before. I really wanted to become a logger but they only log in the winter and the rest of the year im not sure what they do. Now Im looking into something like a biologist type thing that does studied in the field. I just want to be out in the woods doing something..

Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:32 PM

I guess it depends on where you plan on getting into a career. here in Wisconsin, the loggers are in the woods all the time as long as the roads arent muck, those vehicles are huge and can get stuck pretty easily in bad roads. I havent looked into the forestry business yet, but i will be tagging along with one that did the tree marking on our property pretty soon. if i think of it ill post about it. i have the same motive you do, i have to have a job outdoors in the woods. i will lose my mind if i am surrounded by 4 walls for 45 hours a week! plus, id get the chance to see some deer!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:52 PM

cool man, get back to me on that if you go with them. is a forester and a logger the same thing? maybe they do go all year here I dont know..

Does anybody know any of those career planning or matchmaking sites that we use at school? I did a few at school and it always told me to go for jobs like provincial park ranger, forester, game warden and things I really am interested in. Those things are pretty accurate.[]

Quick Reply: Any hunting stories from your parents or grandparents?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.