Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Help a fellow hunter out. I need survey participants for a university research class. >

Help a fellow hunter out. I need survey participants for a university research class.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help a fellow hunter out. I need survey participants for a university research class.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Spike

Default Help a fellow hunter out. I need survey participants for a university research class.

Hi I am an undergraduate student in the school of criminal justice at Dixie State University in southern Utah. For my capstone class I have to preform original research on a topic of my choosing. I have chosen to research how differing levels of severity and certainty of punishment effect the probability that individuals will participate in wildlife oriented crime such as poaching. I have Chosen this as a research topic because of my love for the outdoors. I have grown up loving to spend time outdoors hunting, and fishing. Furthermore I have pursued a degree in criminal justice in hopes of becoming a game warden so that I can live and work in the environment that I love. I would encourage everyone to read through the consent form below and if able take the survey. Every person who participates helps me out a great deal, so I would like to thank you all in advance for your help. A link to my survey can be found here and also at the end of the consent form. As a side note if when you take the survey you do not feel as if an option to a question does not fit you perfectly just chose the answer that fits you best.

Consent Form Introduction

Please read this form carefully. The purpose of this form is to provide you with important information about taking part in a research study. If any of the statements or words in this form are unclear, please let us know. We would be happy to answer any questions.

If you have any questions about the research or any portion of this form, please ask us.

The person in charge of this study is R. C. Morris. R. C. Morris can be reached at [email protected]

Why is this study being done?

The purpose of this study is to determine the relationship between swiftness and certainty of punishment, and their deterrent effect on wildlife offenders.

We are asking you to take part in this study because you are an active member of the sporting and wildlife community.

How long will I take part in this research study?

We expect that you will be participating in this research study for the time it takes to complete the nine question survey which we approximate to be no more than 15 minutes. During the course of the survey if you feel that you need to take a break or skip certain questions please feel free to do so.

What will happen if I take part in this research study?

If you agree to take part in this study, we will ask you to continue to read this consent script to its completion. Once you have completed reading the consent script you may click the link to the survey which should take no more than 15 minutes to complete. After the completion of the survey you will be done.

How Will You Keep My Study Records Confidential?

We will keep the records of this study confidential by not asking for or storing any personally identifiable information. In other words we will not ask for names, dates of birth, social security numbers, addresses, or any other information that might be considered as personally identifiable. Furthermore all recorded responses are kept in a password protected database. We will make every effort to keep your records confidential. However, there are times when federal or state law requires the disclosure of your records.

The following people or groups may review your study records for purposes such as quality control or safety:

The Researcher and any member of his research team
The Institutional Review Board at Dixie State University. The Institutional Review Board is a group of people who review human research studies for safety and protection of people who take part in the studies.
Federal and state agencies that oversee or review research
The study data will be stored within a password protected database.

The results of this research study may be published or used for teaching. We will not put identifiable information on data that are used for these purposes.

Study Participation and Early Withdrawal

Taking part in this study is your choice. You are free not to take part or to withdraw at any time for any reason. No matter what you decide, there will be no penalty or loss of benefit to which you are entitled. If you decide to withdraw from this study, the information that you have already provided will be kept confidential.

What are the risks of taking part in this research study?

Questionnaire/Survey Risks

You may feel emotional or upset when answering some of the questions. Tell the interviewer at any time if you want to take a break or stop the interview.

You may be uncomfortable with some of the questions and topics we will ask about. You do not have to answer any questions that make you feel uncomfortable.

Loss of Confidentiality

The main risk of allowing us to use and store your information for research is a potential loss of privacy. We will protect your privacy by not collecting personally identifiable information, and by storing all other collected data in a password-protected database.

Are there any benefits from being in this research study?

There are no benefits to you from taking part in this research.

What alternatives are available?

You may choose not to take part in this research study.

Will I get paid for taking part in this research study?

We will not pay you for taking part in this study.

What will it cost me to take part in this research study?

There are no costs to you for taking part in this research study.

If I have any questions or concerns about this research study, who can I talk to?

You can contact us with any concerns or questions. Our contact information is listed below:

Principal investigator: R.C. Morris

Email: [email protected]
Phone: (435) 879-4427

Co-Principal investigator: John Ivey

Email: [email protected]
If you have questions about your rights as a research subject or want to speak with someone independent of the research team, you may contact the Dixie State University IRB directly at 617-358-6115.

Statement of Consent

Participation in the survey implies consent.

Link to the Survey
Old 02-24-2016, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO you need to scrap that survey and start over, as there is no answer that fits a person that is ethical and wouldn't shoot that big buck out of season no matter what. It appears that this may be a survey done by someone other than what you say you are and just trying to get a person to say they would violate the law if the chance of getting caught was slim and the penalty was light. I went through the scenario and did not answer a single question, as this survey doesn't look anything like what it's portrayed to be and appears to be designed to put a bad light on hunters. If what you say this survey is for, then IMHO put in another answer that would allow a person to say they would never poach, regardless of the chances of getting caught or what the penalty is!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I read the survey and the questions nor the answers will get you a provable result. As a retired wildlife law enforcement officer of 33 years I will tell you that the nature and or amount of punitive actions taken upon a violator do not have much of a deterrent value, both monetary penalties and incarceration are punishment, not a deterrent to most people. The intentional violator doesn't think about the consequences of their actions because they believe they are smarter than the law enforcement officers. Then there are the spur of the moment violator or opportunist who fell into an opportunity and without thinking committed the violation. Lastly there are those who don't read the laws each year and unknowingly commit a violation. The severity of punishment and odds of being apprehended will not stop violations. What will stop most people from violating is being raised and mentored about ethics and the importance of protecting the continuation of the wildlife species by obeying the law, even when it is inconvenient or difficult to do so.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 Oldtimr That was an excellent post and from a man that should know based on your career!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I refuse to participate in surveys unless they have been authorized by a Mod. So until I see something from CAL or one of the other Mods I will pass on even looking at it.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Spike

Survey's are never what they say they are, BEWARE !!!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would sure be nice if the site could be made such that a person can't post for the first week or two after they sign in as a member. That would eliminate stuff like this along with these one post wonders that want us to watch their youtube kill videos!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I've read and heard where people have said they would poach to feed their family. Why not rob a bank to so you can feed your family.

Bunch of crap I say since there is so many places to get help to feed a family.
Breaking the law is breaking the law.

Al
Old 02-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert!
Old 02-25-2016, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

I have reached out to Admin to determine if this survey was approved or not. When I checked the survey link, I also found that the range of answers seemed to assume a hunter is also a poacher, dependent upon degree of risk. If Admin says it's approved, there's not much I can do about this topic. If Admin says it's not approved, the topic is being deleted as a violation of HNI rules # 4 & 6.

CalHunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.