Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot for deer hunting

Old 02-20-2016, 02:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like that Remington 000 or 00 will do the job...

Also in NC, have deer hunted almost 45 years, grew up in Gates County which is dog hunting territory, have killed many with buckshot...It will do the job when patterned and shots kept in range...(Just like any other weapon)...

It ain't the weapon guys, it's the person behind it....
Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, most shooters won't use a shotgun

They work very well within their limits. You don't usually take 200 yard shots, and most hunters don't get more than 40 or 50 yard shots.

Had a customer who said he had a shotgun to hunt deer. My ears perked up. This is a hunter, I said to myself. He had family land that was overgrown. Perfect for shotguns.
We went with #4 Buck, a favorite of mine.
Saw him a couple of weeks later. How'd you do? Down like a rock he told me. He was going to hunt for an allowed second deer that weekend.
How I wished I was hunting private land and had the chance for a buckshot shotgun deer.
Of course, I had public land and the overpowering 35 Remington. Down like a rock.

Many hunters don't get to see that.

Last edited by Valentine; 02-20-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM
Spike

Ok, so I had some more free time today and tried out some of the same loads except this time using a Remington 870 with a Kicks Buck Kicker choke on a 28" barrel. All shots were 40yds.

Remington 3" 00 15 pellet
13 pellets in a 10" circle and the other 2 pellets missed the 10" circle by about 2".

Winchester 2 3/4" 00 9 pellet
7 pellets in a 10" circle and the 7 pellet group measured 6"x4".

Remington 2 3/4" 00 9 pellet
7 pellets in a 10" circle

Remington 2 3/4" 000 8 pellet
6 pellets in a 10" circle with 5 of those in about a 4" group

It looks like the Remington buckshot loads are going to be the way to go especially in the 3" 00. I was amazed at how tight of a pattern it was holding. I guess the 870 and the Browning Auto 5 both shoot the Remington shells extremely well with the upper hand going to the 870. The only downside to the 870 is the recoil is brutal with the 3" loads.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

What is the restriction on that Buck Kicker??? That is impressive!!

You might want to put an adjustable sight on that gun if it has a vent rib...
I use one on my B-80 and use a slug for the first shot and follow up with buckshot
in case the hounds are let loose on my land...
Old 02-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Spike

It is their regular Buck Kicker Full choke. Not sure on the actual restriction size. I also want to try the federal 00 with the flitecontrol wad in the browning and see how it preforms.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am curious on why you are opting for the 3" 00 instead of the 2 3/4 00 listed under. With the groupings your seeing of placement in the 10" ring I would think you would move your consideration of ammo into another category or two. 1. cost per shells, 2. comfort of shooting. If all three fall to the 3" then by all means go for it. I just personally think the 7 pellets will be just as effective as the 13, you also will only have to find 7 (9) when cleaning the deer vs the 13 (15).
Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 AM
Spike

I will more likely go with the 2 3/4" just for the simple fact of not having so many different types of shells. I had some of the 3" laying around and decided to test them out. As far as price goes there is less than a dollar difference between the 3" and 2 3/4".
Old 02-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Browning BPS w 30" full...it will throw em real tight at 40yds, with a 3" mag. I haven't used it in years...but its a hammer tool. Agree with the others, shotguns with buckshot if kept in range are deadly.

The only thing that frustrates me about some buckshot users.......my good buddy hunts with dogs, and most of the guys in his club will shoot at running deer at just about any distance that they come by. I can't tell you how many times they unload their guns at a running deer at who knows how far and "miss".

If you have a buck inside 30yds standing still...its gonna fold up like a lawn chair. A gun with a great pattern will do the same at 40. I did kill one many many moons ago at 60, it dropped - but I was very young. I would never have taken that shot had I known any better. It was my first buck, so I was super happy...but in reality, I got real lucky and broke its back.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
What is the restriction on that Buck Kicker??? That is impressive!!
http://kickshighflyer.com/ASP/buckkicker.asp .
Old 10-06-2017, 05:56 AM
Spike

Default Buckshot

I have shot many a deer with 00 and 000 buckshot out to 50 yards with a 12 gauge. Pattern ur gun with differant types of ammo, and use what shoots well in ur gun. Not all ammo will shoot well in one gun. Ive found super x seems to shoot well in all my 4 shotguns from sawed offs, short barrel pumps, to my longer barrel single shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.